• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Red police lights on retired Interceptor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ChuckM

Kentucky.

I am considering buying a retired Crown Vic Interceptor that still has the lights on top. The salesman assures me that it is perfectly legal to drive with them on the car, so long as I do not turn them on.

First, is this accurate? Second, whether legal or not, what is the exact law that allows or forbids it?

Thanks!

justalayman

189.950 Prohibitions -- Exceptions. (1) No motor vehicle, except those designated under KRS 189.910 to 189.950 as emergency vehicles, shall be equipped with, nor shall any person use upon a vehicle, any siren, whistle, or bell. Any vehicle may be equipped with a theft alarm signal device which shall be so arranged that it cannot be used as an ordinary warning signal. (2) No motor vehicle, except those designated under KRS 189.910 to 189.950 as emergency vehicles, shall be equipped with, nor shall any person use upon a vehicle any red or blue flashing, revolving, or oscillating light or place a red light on the front thereof. This subsection shall not apply to the use of red flashing lights on school buses or to stop lights or turn signals at the rear of any motor vehicle. (3) No motor vehicle, except those designated under KRS 189.910 to 189.950 as public safety vehicles, shall be equipped with, nor shall any person use upon any vehicle any yellow flashing, revolving, or oscillating light. This subsection shall not apply to the use of yellow lights for turn signals; or to emergency flasher lights for use when warning the operators of other vehicl...
take them off or risk a ticket.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">