• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refused Licence - Multiple legal definitions, need help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brizza

I was refused a a heavy rigid vehicle licence after being told by my traffic authority that I was eligible for it, supplied with learners material and also after paying close to $1000 in training fees. I've looked up the relevant act for my area and found the following:

(b) for a heavy rigid vehicle licence that the person has, at any time, held an Australian driver licence (including a provisional licence) of the class C for a period of, or periods totalling, at least 24 months.

I have held a class C for more than 24 months. Wether I am eligible to get my heavy rigid licence depends on the definition of an "Australian Driver Licence".

"Australian driver licence"means:

(a) a driver licence, or
(b) a licence, probationary licence, conditional licence, restricted licence, provisional licence or driver licence receipt (other than a learner licence) issued under a law in force in a State or internal Territory authorising the holder to drive a motor vehicle on a road or road related area.

"driver licence"means:
(a) a licence (including a conditional licence, a provisional licence and a learner licence) issued in accordance with the regulations authorising the holder to drive one or more classes of motor vehicle on a road or road related area, or
(b) a driver licence receipt

I have held an Australian Drivers Licence for more than 24 months if it includes the time that I held a learner licence.

Under "Australian Drivers Licence" definition (a), it states under the definition of "driver licence" that this does include a learner licence. Under definition (b), it states that it does not include a learner licence.

When there are multiple definitions who determines which definition is enforcable?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
US LAW ONLY -- When POSTING A QUESTION YOU MUST INCLUDE THE NAME OF YOUR STATE

I don't think Australia is a state in the US

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">