• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Revoked Plate/Expired Plate/No Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mbsimmons

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

Husband was pulled early last morning. Officer said that the plate on his car had been revoked on Jan. 18, for no liability insurance. He wrote a ticket for driving with a revoked plate. This apparently happened when we switched insurance coverage to Geico. Seems that there was a one-day gap between the registration process online, and the actual coverage taking effect. The same plate had a sticker on it for May, meaning that it had to be renewed by June 15, and had not been, so he also wrote him a ticket for driving with an expired plate. Lastly, he wrote a ticket for driving with no liability insurance. We certainly do have insurance, though he did not ask, nor ask for the insurance card. We received 5 letters the very next day from local attornies, wanting our business. I am guessing that if an attorney can take care of it, that we can also take care of it ourselves - my question is how? Where do I start? The DA's office? He said that the no insurance ticket required mandatory court appearance. Is this also true? He has to miss a day of work too?

Thank you, in advance, for any advice you may have to offer.

The Occultist

Call the court of clerk and talk to them. There are quite a few courts that may dismiss the charge if you fax them a copy of your insurance card that shows you did indeed have insurance at the time of the stop.

However, your post confuses me. If there was a one day gap before which your coverage started, and that's the day he was pulled over, then he was driving without coverage, so he indeed did not have insurance, and thus, guilty.

If you rectify all 3 complaints and bring proof to court that everything is in compliance, it is possible you may see a reduction and/or a possible dismissal of some or all of the fines.

mbsimmons

Call the court of clerk and talk to them. There are quite a few courts that may dismiss the charge if you fax them a copy of your insurance card that shows you did indeed have insurance at the time of the stop.

However, your post confuses me. If there was a one day gap before which your coverage started, and that's the day he was pulled over, then he was driving without coverage, so he indeed did not have insurance, and thus, guilty.

If you rectify all 3 complaints and bring proof to court that everything is in compliance, it is possible you may see a reduction and/or a possible dismissal of some or all of the fines.
Thank you for the advice. The one day gap in the insurance coverage occurred on January 19, not this past week. We did have a one day lapse, but we certainly have insurance now. Thank you again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">