• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ridiculous speeding ticket in VA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

balkanbase

What is the name of your state? VA

I got a speeding ticket on I-81 south by Harrisonburg (JMU) going 77 in a 65mph zone. I think that this ticket is pretty ridiculous since 90% or more drive on average 75-80mph there, including 18-wheelers! I'm pretty sure the only reason why he pulled out to get me is because my tag wasn't displayed "correctly" on the front bumper and he didn't like my exhaust even though it had a silencer and is way quieter than a V8 with magnaflow pipes (got a ticket for the exhaust, too, by the way.)
Is it even worth it to fight the speeding violation in this case? If so, any recommendations on how I should defend myself (other than just pleading not guilty and saying the ticket is ridiculous because...)
I'd really appreciate any helpful feedback I can get.

cepe10

That's below the 80 mph threshold and below the 85% speed so you may get some leniency on that one...How did he measure your speed? In VA they have to provide calibration records of accuracy that are within 6 months for all devices and speedometers...You may want to consult with a few lawyers in the area and see if you can get one for around $300 to argue for lenieicy. You can also call the clerk of the court about the driving school option in VA.

balkanbase

Let me get this straight...
The reason why I said this is because some cops get biased when they see a modified import. Otherwise, you will not find many cops on that part of I-81 that will ticket you for ~10 over. And yes, he can very well see that I don't have my front tag displayed on my bumper from a distance, doesnt really need x-ray vision now does he? The trooper claims that the exhaust is too loud, plus it is an Apex'i so it's obvious that it is not factory and yes he could have seen that, too, as I passed by him. So he could have seen it and heard it, and no, it is not "as quiet" since maybe you don't know how loud lot of V8's are with flowmaster, magnaflow or similar piping for "muscle cars."
Besides, this thread is about what I could/should do about my speeding ticket. So please, if you cannot help me out or give me some advice, do not leave me smart comments that make no sense either. Thanks ;)

How did he measure your speed?
He did not tell me nor did I ask him, but it was probably radar gun. Thanks for your advice and the info. I didn't know about the calibration issue or argument for leniency. I may contact a lawyer to see what he would suggest, but I am not looking to hire one for this matter since I will end up paying him more than the ticket will cost me and it is too much of a hassle for 12mph over.

DRTDEVL

Take the "fart can" off of your car... It does not make it faster.

Yes, I went there! An Apex'i exhaust is LOUD! You just can't hear it over your sub. You're lucky he didn't get REAL anal with you... I am willing to bet that you don't have a front plate on because you put on a big ugly piece of plastic for a bumper that almost scrapes the ground (illegal in VA). The exhaust is illegal there because any aftermarket exhaust that is even 1 db louder than the factory system is against the law. I bet the stereo was cranked, too!

Now, slow down, and pay the fine.

balkanbase

Take the "fart can" off of your car... It does not make it faster.

Yes, I went there! An Apex'i exhaust is LOUD! You just can't hear it over your sub. You're lucky he didn't get REAL anal with you... I am willing to bet that you don't have a front plate on because you put on a big ugly piece of plastic for a bumper that almost scrapes the ground (illegal in VA). The exhaust is illegal there because any aftermarket exhaust that is even 1 db louder than the factory system is against the law. I bet the stereo was cranked, too!

Now, slow down, and pay the fine.

An apex'i may be just a loud fart can on a ricer's honda, in fact it is WAY quieter on a turboed eclipse, and yes it does give me substantial power due to the reduced back-pressure in combination with larger pipes up to the "fart can." The tag is off because the factory bumber has been cut a little and it would be sitting right infront of the intercooler.
Thanks for the sarcasm guys but seriously...:D this is NOT my daily driver but rather my project car built for the 1/4 mile track. I understand what you all mean though because I would make the same comments about some kids with their "fart cans" and weird "look at me i'm cool" attitudes. And I also know that i was lucky since there are quite a few other things that i could have gotten ticketed for. The reason why I even wrote about the tag and the exhaust was to give further information about the case hoping that it might give somebody on these forums an idea as to what he or she could recommend i do about the speeding ticket.

xylene

this is NOT my daily driver but rather my project car built for the 1/4 mile track.
There is no exemption for your race car. It is either street legal or not. If you want an edge at the track that is not quite ready for the road, then get a trailer.

I understand what you all mean though because I would make the same comments about some kids with their "fart cans" and weird "look at me i'm cool" attitudes. And I also know that i was lucky since there are quite a few other things that i could have gotten ticketed for. The reason why I even wrote about the tag and the exhaust was to give further information about the case hoping that it might give somebody on these forums an idea as to what he or she could recommend i do about the speeding ticket.
Personally I have to agree with those who think the front plate is not always needed... Indeed all too often on some cars the front plate "just dosen't work" with the look and designed aerodynamics. You are capable person to have modified your car. I am sure you can have a workable custom front plate bracket made up.

If you have the cash, it sure doesn't hurt have a lawyer.

In court, make sure you loose the notion that police not liking tuned imports is some kind of prejudice. Police don't like tuned imports because they are race cars, and not everyone is no honest to be only using them at the track...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">