• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

right at red light without stopping

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pencilholder

What is the name of your state? California

Hi all,

Got a citation for 21453(a)-failure to stop at a red light. I turned right at the light, no red arrow, no "No Right Turn on Red sign." Speed on the citation was estimated as 5-10 mph.

My question is whether this is actually under 21453(b). More specifically, do I have any weight to get the citation switched or even dismissed for noting the wrong code? I believe (b) has a smaller fine than (a). I still have the traffic school option and don't want to lose that.

Thanks,
Jimbo

CdwJava

No. You failed to stop on a circulrar red as required, thus 21453(a). Even the (b) section says you may proceed only "after stopping as required by subdivision (a)". The (b) section is generally used when a person makes an unsafe right turn or fails to yield to pedestrians crossing in front of him or her at the light. It's a right-of-way section and is rarely cited.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">