• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

right on red w/o stopping

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EricaB

I was visiting Poway, CA for my grandpa's memorial service (I live in Oregon) and turned right on a red light without stopping first (I missed the yellow by a couple seconds). This is my first violation ever. My dad was in the car with me (we shared a rental). The violation was caught via camera by someone in Arizona (Poway contracts out of state). I get to see the video and it shows that indeed I am in the wrong, and the yellow light lasted a full 4 seconds. What I don't understand is how the city of Poway can justify charging me $381. Are there any conditions under which they would reduce the fine? I can contest from Oregon but would I have a better chance if I go in to court (I might go down for Christmas, especially if doing so is partly paid for by what would otherwise go to the ticket). Thanks for any suggestions.

JIMinCA

I was visiting Poway, CA for my grandpa's memorial service (I live in Oregon) and turned right on a red light without stopping first (I missed the yellow by a couple seconds). This is my first violation ever. My dad was in the car with me (we shared a rental). The violation was caught via camera by someone in Arizona (Poway contracts out of state). I get to see the video and it shows that indeed I am in the wrong, and the yellow light lasted a full 4 seconds. What I don't understand is how the city of Poway can justify charging me $381. Are there any conditions under which they would reduce the fine? I can contest from Oregon but would I have a better chance if I go in to court (I might go down for Christmas, especially if doing so is partly paid for by what would otherwise go to the ticket). Thanks for any suggestions.

Erica,

Take a look at www.helpigotaticket.com. There is a whole section in there about red light cameras. I think they are pretty easy to beat if you want to put forward a bit of effort. It is a very good website that I have used several times. I just haven't had (or know someone who has) a red light ticket.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">