• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

right to see radar gun reading

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gtbprez

New Jersey
When I was stopped by police for speeding, I requested to see the radar gun reading. But he said he already turned it off and claimed that they are not required to show the reading. Do I have the right to see the reading? If so, don't I have a strong case for dismissal? Thanks.

seniorjudge

gtbprez said:
New Jersey
When I was stopped by police for speeding, I requested to see the radar gun reading. But he said he already turned it off and claimed that they are not required to show the reading. Do I have the right to see the reading? If so, don't I have a strong case for dismissal? Thanks.
Q: Do I have the right to see the reading?

A: No.

racer72

gtbprez said:
New Jersey
Sounds like a broken record. Why won't folks search previous posts????

HappyHusband

racer72 said:
Sounds like a broken record. Why won't folks search previous posts????
Sounds like a job for ze Meethbusters!
http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/about/about.html

The myth: When I am stopped by the police and I ask to see the radar reading, I have the right to see the reading.

Adam: We should ask a police officer.

Police Officer: That is not true. We are not required to show the radar reading.

Jamie: Let's test this myth to see if it's true.

Fast Forward to end of show...

The Mythbuster Cadillac is ablaze and the crash test dummy is mangled beyond recognition.

Adam and Jamie together: This myth is BUSTED!

About the only thing you will accomplish asking to see the RADAR reading is to piss off the LEO and increase the probability the officer will remember you.

Best approach is to be respectful, apologetic and anything else you can do to make the stop as safe and as short as possible.

Once the ticket is written, save the drama for court.

Sorry Sr. Judge but that is what you guys get paid the big bucks for :D

I don't understandpeople who want to argue with the guy carrying a gun and wearing the nice hat. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">