• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right to Speedy Trial Violated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

et412

What is the name of your state? CA

I received a traffic ticket for speeding (by radar) on Feb 3, 2005. On March 21, 2005, I pleaded not guilty, paid the bail and elected to file a request for "Trial by Declaration" online through the court's website. I then submitted the "Trial by Declaration" request through certified mail on April 15, 2005. Today, when i checked the status of my case online, i saw a note stating "failure to appear". I called the court house. They first told me that my case was referred to a collecting agency due to my failure to appear in court. Then, the clerk realized that i have filed a request for "trial by declaration", and she told me to call some other number at the courthouse to have it straighten out.

My question is that, is my right to a speedy trial being violated since it's already been over 45 days since my date of arraignment (3/21/05)? If so, can i request a motion to dismiss my case? How should i proceed to do so? I'd appreciate any advise. Thanks so much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">