• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right Turn in Dallas, TX

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mp2005

What is the name of your state? TX

I stopped completely at a yield sign and i had to make right turn onto a divided two-lane road (two lanes on each side of division), and i also had my right turn signal on. When i saw that there was a red-signal for the traffic on the road i was turning into, i safely made a right turn onto the left-most lane. I always thought this was legal. I can understand if there was more than one lane at the yield that could make a right turn, but that wasn't the case. Unfortunately a cop was right behind me at the yield sign and gave me a citation for "Lane Fail to signal intent to change lanes - 1013". Don't understand. Was i supposed to make right turn onto the right most lane first and then use left turn signal to change to left lane? Texas drivers manual is unclear on right turn rules. California manual clearly shows a picture that right turns can be made to any lane (left, middle or right). Can someone please clarify the rules for Texas? Was the citation appropriate for my case?

I intend to plead not guilty, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.What is the name of your state?

mp2005

Yep, that's how it's supposed to happen.
If thats the case, shouldn't i have been ticketed for an "illegal right turn" and not "Lane fail to signal"? Do i have a case on the basis that the citation was wrong?

Thanks.

You Are Guilty

If thats the case, shouldn't i have been ticketed for an "illegal right turn" and not "Lane fail to signal"? Do i have a case on the basis that the citation was wrong?

Thanks.
How is it wrong? You failed to signal a proper turn into the left lane. Isn't that what the citation says? What is the statute number listed on it? Just "1013"?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Thanks.
Seems to me that EITHER would be appropriate.

mp2005

How is it wrong? You failed to signal a proper turn into the left lane. Isn't that what the citation says? What is the statute number listed on it? Just "1013"?
I did signal for a right turn at the yield sign, and then i drove into the left lane, instead of driving into the right lane. There was no lane changing. Ofcourse, i had to cut across the right lane to get to the left lane. Yes, the only statute mentioned is 1013.
btw, i noticed this morning that almost 90% of folks at that yield sign do the same thing i did (make right turn into the left lane).

Can someone please refer me to the page number from Texas drivers manual which says that i always have to make right turn to the rightmost lane?

Thanks and i appreciate all responses.

mommyof4

Will the Texas Transportation Code work for you?

SUBCHAPTER C. TURNING AND SIGNALS FOR STOPPING AND TURNING

§ 545.101. TURNING AT INTERSECTION. (a) To make a
right turn at an intersection, an operator shall make both the
approach and the turn as closely as practicable to the right-hand
curb or edge of the roadway.
(b) To make a left turn at an intersection, an operator
shall:
(1) approach the intersection in the extreme left-hand
lane lawfully available to a vehicle moving in the direction of the
vehicle; and
(2) after entering the intersection, turn left,
leaving the intersection so as to arrive in a lane lawfully
available to traffic moving in the direction of the vehicle on the
roadway being entered.
(c) On a street or roadway designated for two-way traffic,
the operator turning left shall, to the extent practicable, turn in
the portion of the intersection to the left of the center of the
intersection.
(d) To turn left, an operator who is approaching an
intersection having a roadway designated for one-way traffic and
for which signs are posted from a roadway designated for one-way
traffic and for which signs are posted shall make the turn as
closely as practicable to the left-hand curb or edge of the roadway.
(e) The Texas Transportation Commission or a local
authority, with respect to a highway in its jurisdiction, may:
(1) authorize the placement of an official
traffic-control device in or adjacent to an intersection; and
(2) require a course different from that specified in
this section for movement by vehicles turning at an intersection.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There was no lane changing. Ofcourse, i had to cut across the right lane to get to the left lane.
Seems like a "lane change" to me.
btw, i noticed this morning that almost 90% of folks at that yield sign do the same thing i did (make right turn into the left lane).
"Everbody else does it" is not a valid defense

Can someone please refer me to the page number from Texas drivers manual which says that i always have to make right turn to the rightmost lane?
No need - the information has been given to you in a prior post. I just wanted to point out that the "drivers manual" is NOT the law.

Thanks and i appreciate all responses.
You're Welcome! :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">