• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

right turn on red light

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SSH1325

I was in the right turn lane at a stop light.There are three lanes of traffic on each street. On the red light I stopped and turned right, staying in the right hand lane. The police coming towards me made a left turn into the street I was on. The police had three lanes to turn into but swept far to the right lane and then claimed I impeded his right of way. He claims I violated Calif vehicle code 21453(c). Help!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSH1325:
I was in the right turn lane at a stop light.There are three lanes of traffic on each street. On the red light I stopped and turned right, staying in the right hand lane. The police coming towards me made a left turn into the street I was on. The police had three lanes to turn into but swept far to the right lane and then claimed I impeded his right of way. He claims I violated Calif vehicle code 21453(c). Help!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

In California, pursuant to Vehicle Code Section 21453"(a)", and after coming to a complete stop, a driver may then turn right on a "circular" red traffic signal light which is what this writer appears to allege, when she says "stop light."

However, the writer appears to be mistaken in that what she was facing was not a "stop light," but rather, was facing a "Red Arrow", and was cited for a violation of Vehicle Code Section 21453"(c)". That subsection states, as follows:

C.V.C. Section 21453(c)
"A driver facing a steady ** red arrow ** signal shall not enter the intersection to make the movement indicated by the arrow and, unless entering the intersection to make a movement permitted by another signal, shall stop at a clearly marked limit line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if none, then before entering the intersection, and shall remain stopped until an indication permitting movement is shown."

Therefore, and while a California driver may, after a complete stop, then complete a right turn on a "circular red traffic signal", the same driver when facing a "Red Arrow" traffic signal "shall remain stopped until an indication permitting movement is shown" - - i.e., a "Green" Arrow.

Finally, because the writer was in a part of the roadway when she should not have been there, (she should have still been stopped at the right turn Red Arrow), the officer's right-of-way was, in fact, impeded. The citation is justified.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">