• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

right turn, red light, didn't stop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

conkon22

State: CA :-/

I was in LA and when I was making a right turn I got a ticket for not coming to a complete stop (it was not a police officer to pull me over but a machine that took pictures etc somewhere on the intersection there).
I was told that I need to pay $420 or something like that for a ticket and a traffic school (I want to do it). I live in Nevada and for something like that I would not pay more than $200 - $220. I dont want to pay that much money for something like that. I was talking to somebody from Santa Monica Municipal Court (where the ticket came from) and I was told that it cant be reduced and that everybody just pays that kind of money for that.
What can I do about it? Can I pay less? Is it really so expensive there?

(I live in Las Vegas, so I cant go there in person etc.). Thank you in advance for any information you can offer.

racer72

I was in LA and when I was making a right turn I got a ticket for not coming to a complete stop (it was not a police officer to pull me over but a machine that took pictures etc somewhere on the intersection there).
It's called a red light camera ticket.

I was told that I need to pay $420 or something like that for a ticket and a traffic school (I want to do it).
Sound about right for a ticket in California. It is nice that driving school is an option too.

I live in Nevada and for something like that I would not pay more than $200 - $220.
What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Fines in Nevada have nothing to do with fines in California.

I dont want to pay that much money for something like that.
Nobody does but that is now not an option.

I was talking to somebody from Santa Monica Municipal Court (where the ticket came from) and I was told that it cant be reduced and that everybody just pays that kind of money for that.
Now you know why it's so expensive to live in California.

What can I do about it?
Pay the fine or prove you did not run the red light.

Can I pay less?
Only a judge can make that decision. You can ask.

Is it really so expensive there?
Yep.

(I live in Las Vegas, so I cant go there in person etc.).
Not leaving yourself many options.

Thank you in advance for any information you can offer.
Your welcome.

prajesh1

right turn red light, didn't stop.

I didn't completely stop at a right light taking a right turn and caught on camera. I got a traffic violation ticket and out of the options they gave me were " Pleade not guilty and request a court appearance". But I still need to pay the fine to request a court appearance.

I have couple of questions on this:

1. So if I go to the court and proven not gulity they are going to return my money?

2. Is there a chance of atleast reducing the fine if I go to court or waiving the traffic school. I know I was caught on camera so I am just wondering how are these cases usually handled.

Thanks you.

Isis1

I didn't completely stop at a right light taking a right turn and caught on camera. I got a traffic violation ticket and out of the options they gave me were " Pleade not guilty and request a court appearance". But I still need to pay the fine to request a court appearance.

I have couple of questions on this:

1. So if I go to the court and proven not gulity they are going to return my money?

2. Is there a chance of atleast reducing the fine if I go to court or waiving the traffic school. I know I was caught on camera so I am just wondering how are these cases usually handled.

Thanks you.
the fine will not be reduced. the traffic school is to reduce points from your driving record which will cause an increase in insurance. you waive the traffic school, your insurance goes up. fees are not reduced.

as a mother of four who walks everywhere, pay attention to the road next time.

I_Got_Banned

Yes.

Thanks you.
Isabella is correct. The base fine for a VC21453 (assuming that is what you're charged with) and all the associated penalty assessments are "statutory" and judges have no discretion to reduce it.

As for "waiving" traffic school, you're not obligated to take traffic school. You can just plead guilty, pay the fine and be done. But that means that the ticket will appear on your driving record for 3 years and it may affect your insurance premium.

If you choose traffic school, and upon completing the course and submitting the completion certificate to the court, the citation is dismissed and nothing is shown on your driving record.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">