• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

road rage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rfsamara

Hi,

I just did the dumbest thing of my life and let my anger get the best of me. I live in San Diego, Ca and was cut off and repeatedly provoked on the road this morning. So I just flipped out and followed the driver for a long time. She reported me to the police because I was pulled over shortly after I lost her. The cops searched me, took down all my info, and asked why I freaked out to the point that she feared for her life. They also threatened jail time but did not arrest me and told me to calm down. Additionally, they did not give me any kind of documentation related to court. So, is there any chance of me being arrested later on for this incident given that they have all my info (address, phone, etc) and can reach me at any time? Is there any chance of getting fined if they didn't mention it? Lastly, will this go on my permanent record? Again, they did not arrest me at the scene and did not give any kind of documentation for me to sign. I'm freaking out about this and will NEVER let my emotions get the best of me again.

Thank you very much for any info

Antigone*

Hi,

I just did the dumbest thing of my life and let my anger get the best of me. I live in San Diego, Ca and was cut off and repeatedly provoked on the road this morning. So I just flipped out and followed the driver for a long time. She reported me to the police because I was pulled over shortly after I lost her. The cops searched me, took down all my info, and asked why I freaked out to the point that she feared for her life. They also threatened jail time but did not arrest me and told me to calm down. Additionally, they did not give me any kind of documentation related to court. So, is there any chance of me being arrested later on for this incident given that they have all my info (address, phone, etc) and can reach me at any time? Is there any chance of getting fined if they didn't mention it? Lastly, will this go on my permanent record? Again, they did not arrest me at the scene and did not give any kind of documentation for me to sign. I'm freaking out about this and will NEVER let my emotions get the best of me again.

Thank you very much for any info
They can certainly contact you again ~ I'd say a lot has to do with the other driver. It's just a waiting game. No one can tell your for sure.

rfsamara

Hi Wirelessany1,

What's the worst case scenario? She made some claims that I had to tell the cops were false, which is what worries me most. What things could/would they do if they contacted me again? Could I still go to jail? Also, generally, how long is the waiting game? Will I have to worry about this for the rest of my life?

racer72

Most likely scenario is your statement and the other driver's statement will be forwarded to the DA's office. Someone there will review them then determine if charges against you are warranted. This could take a few weeks to 6 months depending on how busy the DA's office is.

rfsamara

For anyone reading this in case you're ever in the same situation:

I've talked to several people, including a lawyer. Everybody has basically told me that I'm in the clear as far as criminal charges but can still be taken to court for civil charges. If I were at risk for criminal charges I would have been taken to the police station on the spot. Anyway, that's what I've been told by everyone outside of this forum, including a lawyer. I hope none of you ever do what I did and I'll certainly learn my lesson from this one.

The Occultist

If I were at risk for criminal charges I would have been taken to the police station on the spot.
I just fail to see this as necessarily true since I've seen far too many people being charged with far more serious criminal charges that were not taken the police station.

CdwJava

I can't imagine any criminal charges will be forthcoming. If this was a felony and they had probable cause to arrest you, they would have. I don't see that this is a deal the DA in San Diego County is going to deal with, either.

Don't stress about it unless you receive a summons to go to court or they come to arrest you. I doubt either of those will happen.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">