• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Road Rage or an Unmarked Police Car?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

warnux0x0

Pennsylvania

I received 7 moving violation papers in the mail recently. They range from failure to use turn signal to speeding, to reckless driving. I truly believe I was set up by an off duty police officer who needed his quota filled, or was having a really bad day.

The time was very early in the morning, and it was still dark.
I was driving down the highway on my way to work.
The posted speed limit is 55 MPH.
At one point during my trip, I was driving in the left lane at 57 MPH in order to pass cars on the right.
One of them cuts out in front of me.
He was going 50 at the time, and I almost rear ended him because he pulled out as I was only about 10 feet away.
I didn't think he saw me, so I flashed my high beams once to let him know that he just cut me off (and almost caused an accident).
I then quickly backed off his tail.
He continued to ride in the LEFT lane at 55 MPH.
When enough space opened up between him and the car he passed when he cut me off, using my turn signal, I moved to the right lane to go around him.
I then drove approximately 60 MPH, and he accelerated.
At this point I'm scared, and worried this guy has road rage, so I accelerate to create space between me and him, and he accelerates beside me.
I stayed in the right lane the whole time after this, until a car merged onto the highway.
Signalling, I moved to the left lane to allow merge.
I then returned to the right lane and the guy (with road rage) quickly pulled in behind me.
Again, I'm scared at this point thinking this guy is following me.
I accelerate to see if he stays with me (indicating he's following me).
He continued to follow and tailgate me until I slowed to normal driving speeds because of a car in the right hand lane.
He then passed me on the left, and stayed there, blocking my ability to pass.
He remained beside that car until he exited to the right.
The entire time, I could not pass because he was effectively blocking both lanes.

About 5 minutes later, I noticed a car in the left hand lane driving EXCEEDINGLY fast.
I thought it was the same guy coming to finish the job, so I again accelerate to create space.
I noticed I was going very fast, so I slowed down to allow him to pass.
He slowed down with me, so I sped up again.
To my relief, he took the next exit, so I slowed down to normal speed.

Apparently (having received the citations in the mail) he was an unmarked police officer, but I had no idea who he was, or what his intentions were.

Last edited:

warnux0x0

I didn't return the citation forms yet. Since most (if not all) of the violations were the direct result of the unmarked police cars seeming road rage, is it a good idea to plead not guilty?

Isis1

I didn't return the citation forms yet. Since most (if not all) of the violations were the direct result of the unmarked police cars seeming road rage, is it a good idea to plead not guilty?
when you saw this person who seemed to display road rage, attempted to intimidate you with his reckless driving, obviously scaring you....how soon after did you file a police report?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It would probably be worth your while to plead not guilty.

And you may want to make a complaint to the officer's agency. If your description is accurate it doesn't sound too kosher.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">