• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Robic speed trap on a motorcycle, questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hmb42

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pa
On my way to work yesterday I got caught in a robic speed trap doing 54 in a 35. This is my first time getting caught in a speed trap, so I did a lot of research here and other sites and had a few questions.

I saw a few posts by maestro saying if the distance and time wasn't written on the ticket there was a chance it could be dropped. Is this still true?

Another thing I'm wondering about is the accuracy of robic in regard to motorcycles. I read done other posts dismissing challenging the accuracy of the officer and robic system. However when I drove by today I noticed the lines were less then 100 feet apart for sure. Also being that I was on a motorcycle, which is at least half the length of an average car, the cop would have much less time to accurately hit the stop watch. Is this a viable defense? Just looking for some help here. I'm a college kid working full time and I can't really afford the points or thre fine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

FlyingRon

The length of the vehicle doesn't enter into ROBIC. They have to use the same side (front, rear, doesn't matter) at both checkpoints. It should have had the distance and time. Hopefully Maestro will be by shortly with courtroom strategy.

hmb42

Right, I just figured that for a smaller vehicle it would be harder to gauge when it crosses the lines. I look forward to hearing from maestro tho. Also sorry for any typos, my laptop is broken so I'm stick using my phone

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Right, I just figured that for a smaller vehicle it would be harder to gauge when it crosses the lines. I look forward to hearing from maestro tho. Also sorry for any typos, my laptop is broken so I'm stick using my phone
The "crossing" of the line is not what is being measured.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Maybe I need to do some more research on robic then. Care to enlighten me?
You said that a small vehicle is hard to measure as it "crosses" the line. What is measured is the point that you REACH the line. The size of the vehicle wouldn't come in to play. That's all I was trying to point out.

FlyingRon

Actually, any way I can wrap my mind around the geometry of the situation makes it likely that a smaller vehicle is MORE likely to be accurately timed by robic than a larger one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">