• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Rolled Through The Stop"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dprice10

As I was heading eastbound I approached a 4-way stop sign. I stopped as there were several cars at the busy village intersection (being Friday of Labor Day weekend). The first car as I recollect, came through the intersection from the east and continued west, passed me. I very distinctly remember next, after making eye contact with the driver of a large black Cadillac SUV, to my left (heading South) waiving the driver through. After the Cadillac proceeded through the intersection, between myself and the officer, I then proceeded through the intersection without incident, nor any communicated misunderstanding between myself and any other vehicles.
During the stop, the officer told me that I had rolled right through the stop and cut him off. I looked directly at his patrol car as I passed through and he appeared to be stopped, at the stop line, and was clearly not in the intersection with me. I dont understand how he could interpret me rolling through the intersection.
What is my best course of action. This is my second ticket in 2 months and I feel innocent of both.

FlyingRon

Did you come to a complete stop at the stop line? If the cop was waiting at the stop sign to your right, you should have yielded to him as well.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It makes no difference what any other traffic was doing. It makes no difference if anyone waved at anyone else. If you failed to stop completely at the required stopping point then you are in violation.

At no time did you say you completely stopped.

justsomecop

If you did not stop, I would say pay the fine or take some traffic school if you want to. If this stop sign violation means that much to you then fight it. Just remember you will need some kind of real evidence that shows you did not commit the offense. Also keep in mind that most patrol vehicles are equipped with video cameras that catch violations on tape now a days.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">