• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rules of Evidence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maple

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I got a ticket today for an improper left turn. I want to fight it because the 'no left turn' signs are new, and on the far right grassy area, beyond the breakdown lane, of a 5 lane road. ( If you are turning left from the middle turn lane, why would you be looking all the way over on the right?)

I am going back to the scene tomorrow to take photos of the roadway and the location of the signs. I will also take measurements of the roadway, showing that these signs were xxx feet away from the turn lane. I also plan to contact the roads department (or whatever it is called) of this jurisdiction to find out when the signs were installed. (They are very obviously temporary until official signs can be posted, and you used to be able to make a left turn there.)

Anyway, what are the rules of evidence in traffic court? When and how do I ask to submit evidence? I plan to make these photos 8" x 10", and make a drawing of the area on posterboard.What is the name of your state?

The Occultist

As a driver you are responsible for observing ALL signs on the road. If you are all the way in the left lane, you must still observe the posted speed limit, even if the speed limit sign is only on the right side of a 5 lane road. If the signs are new, then it seems to me that it would be more easily noticed by somebody who was familiar with that road when it did not have the signs. I don't think you have a valid argument here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">