• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Running out of gas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirry1422

Which is what I was advocating to begin with, rather then writing some citation. Btw, I didn't say "gas cards" whatever that is, I said gas cans as in gas cans. Out here in the hinterlands of Chicago 80% of cpd squads, all county cars and all Illinois state police units have gas cans in their cars. The state police carry full gas cans at all times. And our local expressway system is patrolled 24/7/365 by the emergency traffic patrol, commonly known as idot minutemen, who drive large green tow trucks and supply emergency fuel, jumps, small tools and jacks, water, air, and tows off the expressway to a safe parking spot or lot, all of which is completely and totally free (the multimillion dollar program is funded through a .04 cent state tax on every gallon of gas sold.) The program has been studied and has been found to reduce delays and secondary accidents by 127% and it saves 17 dollars in prevented crash damage, lost productivity and wasted fuel consumption for every dollar spent, not to mention the human factor involved. The vehicles and people are all employed/owned directly by the state and they work closely with the state police to clear accident scenes quickly. Anyway, I would advocate for all states to consider such a program which would keep people safe and traffic moving on our crowded and often-times scarey interstate and freeway system.

CdwJava

Some of our freeways in the larger urban centers have a similar program operational during peak traffic hours. None ar 24/7 that I know of. We don't quite have the money, I guess.

My bad for misreading gas "cans" as gas "cards" (credit or gas company cards that are used to pay for gas).

And no agency out here regularly carries gas cans - with or without gas. There are a number of safety issues involved with that practice. Are there some agencies that allow their people to do so? Sure. Usually these are officers that work in rural areas where tows or resources are few and far between. I have never worked in one.

And good for your state that they have all these resources and options. Apparently this bridge didn't have that as an option, and apparently running out of gas and blocking a bridge results in a citation. Odd? Perhaps. But apparently permissable. In fact, it probably would be in every state as the respective vehicle codes are probably not written to specifically exempt vehicles that have run out of gas or have broken down.

- Carl

wirry1422

Well I certainly don't argue that state vehicle codes regarding blocking traffic could conceivably apply in most states to running out of gas. However i simply wanted to illustrate that officers in all states have considerable descretion regarding when to issue traffic citations, and that compassionate assistance rather then issuing a citation was the right thing and the common sense thing to do. The program I spoke about is unfortunately only running in the Chicagoland area at this time. The rest of the state's stranded motorists rely upon a combination of well equiped state police officers/vehicles and state department of transportation maintanance trucks for emergency roadside assistance (unless of course, they are lucky enough to carry cell phones and have triple a road service, onstar, or a similar service) And most local officers carry empty gas cans, but the state police do carry emergency fuel, and on the busy highways of northern illinois, a state trooper can go through up to 8 gallons in a shift. The emergency traffic patrol service in Chicago has its own dedicated emergency number (*999) It is simply a matter of less then one-tenth of a cent on a gallon of gas for a state to start a similar program. Having been to California serveral times, I can commend caltrans and CHP for their world-class traffic management efforts. They were the first to offer many innovative programs including HOV lanes and mind-bogglingly intricate freeway interchanges.

You Are Guilty

Actually, NYC has a similar program in place. The trucks are branded "HELP", but I do not know what the acronym stands for (Highway Emergency something something I'm sure). They do the same minor repairs - tire changes, a couple gallons of gas, etc.

However, with regard to the OP's situation, first, it was on a Port Authority-owned highway (the bridge), and the PA apparently does not allow HELP trucks on its roadways. Second, and much more importantly, this is a narrow, 2 lane (in each direction) bridge used by over 30,500,000 vehicles annually. Point being, it's quite busy, even when no one is blocking 25% of the bridge's capacity. You can appreciate what a mess even a 1-car blockage can create.

It's time for people to take personal responsiblity for their actions. If you know you're that low on gas, but decide to "chance" it, you basically just said "screw you" to the other several thousand people on the bridge behind you who got stuck thanks to your bad decision. I have no problem with a ticket in these circumstances.

However, I'm still waiting to see if the OP reports back as to what happens when ticketed for "running out of gas" and not "blocking traffic". :eek:

wirry1422

"this is a narrow, 2 lane (in each direction) bridge used by over 30,500,000 vehicles annually. Point being,"

"It's time for people to take personal responsiblity for their actions. If you know you're that low on gas, but decide to "chance" it, you basically just said "screw you" to the other several thousand people on the bridge behind you who got stuck thanks to your bad decision. I have no problem with a ticket in these circumstances"

Point taken, i can certainly agree with that logic. I guess I'm simply too nice (or naive') to be an effective cop.

But I would still disagree with any citation being issued for a vehicle with unexpected mechanical trouble or a flat tire.

Last edited:

Fla_Panther

qcxlvr1 said:
Don't ignore it, it'll make a problem for you.

If it is a yellow "New York State Uniform Traffic Ticket" ask for a supporting deposition on the rear. Make a copy of the ticket and explain to the judge you ran out of gas and ask for dismissal in the interest of justice per CPL 170.40. Settle for nothing else--it's not illegal to run out of gas--you have an affirmative defense.

This is one of the more ridiculous tickets I've ever heard of.
I wonder if there's an equivalent to this in FL law, or Pinellas County. I'm not sure what search terms to use to try and find it.. but it might come in handy for my situation .. read here: https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=258642

cepe10

ismellbacon said:
Amazing. A cop actually writes an impeding traffic ticket but its to someone who runs out of gas instead of the joker in the left lane going 55 in a 65 while bottle necking.
gotta give you kudos for that comment:)

You Are Guilty

drunknhik said:
If anybody still cares the ticket got thrown out before it went to court
What "proof" did you get that it was truly dismissed (and not dismissed and refiled, or dismissed, amended and refiled)?

Whatever it is, keep it in your glovebox for the next 7 years "just in case".

apdepetris

Bad Idea

Just a side note. This could have been a deadly situation. A co-worker of my moms was trying to cross a major bridge while she was low on gas. She thought she could make it. She didn't. In her case when she suddenly stalled in the middle of the bridge she was hit from behind by a semi-truck that was unable to stop in time. She along with her 3 children that were in the car with her were killed. Please, just take the time and stop for gas. Even if the gas is pricier the difference isn't worth your life. :(

cepe10

You Are Guilty said:
What the hell is "bottle necking"? I'm fairly certain whatever it is, its not illegal.
Actually almost every state has a law againt impeding the flow of traffic (by driving slowly in the passing lane for one i.e. bottle necking) Sadly, these laws are rountinely ignored for enforcement as the reduction in spacing that they cause is a a legitimate safety concern.

from MD:
§ 21-804. Minimum speed regulation.

(a) Slow speed impeding traffic prohibited.- Unless reduced speed is necessary for the safe operation of the vehicle or otherwise is in compliance with law, a person may not willfully drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic.

apdepetris

Missed the point

Six Black Roses said:
"Buy gas, save the lives of your children!"

You, my friend, are a marketing genius.
That's the message you take away from my post?!

It's a simple thing - "E" means empty and cars don't run without gas. I just think it's stupid and sad that a family died because of something that could have easily been prevented. What's even worse is that wasn't the first time she had run out of gas on that bridge. I guess some people don't learn their lesson.

All in all, I was just trying to point out that it could have been a lot worse than simply getting a ticket.

You Are Guilty

cepe10 said:
Actually almost every state has a law againt impeding the flow of traffic (by driving slowly in the passing lane for one i.e. bottle necking) Sadly, these laws are rountinely ignored for enforcement as the reduction in spacing that they cause is a a legitimate safety concern.

from MD:
§ 21-804. Minimum speed regulation.

(a) Slow speed impeding traffic prohibited.- Unless reduced speed is necessary for the safe operation of the vehicle or otherwise is in compliance with law, a person may not willfully drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic.
Gee, now why didn't I think of that. Oh yeah, I did, a year ago: https://forum.freeadvice.com/showpost.php?p=1019874&postcount=9

However, no one I know has ever called it "bottlenecking". ("a55hole in the left lane" is how we refer to them).

Six Black Roses

I ran out of gas twice on my Firebird Formula. I've learned my lesson. The E really DOES mean empty... no cutesy warning light or extra gallon to get to a gas station using, etc.

I got really lucky the first time 'cause I had enough to start making a left turn and... coast onto the shoulder. The second time was on a freeway. I had enough time to coast into the gas station on the exit. Bit the bullet.

Seriously, though, don't run out of gas. It's not good for your vehicle--the gasoline often times is the only thing that cools the fuel pump, and your empty gas tank could turn out to being costly for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">