• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Running out of gas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

drunknhik

Hi, I'm from NJ. Yesterday I got a ticket in NY for running out of gas. My car stopped right as I was entering the bridge for the outerbridge crossing w/b into NJ. Is this a moving violation. Is there any advice I have in fighting this ticket?

HomeGuru

drunknhik said:
Hi, I'm from NJ. Yesterday I got a ticket in NY for running out of gas. My car stopped right as I was entering the bridge for the outerbridge crossing w/b into NJ. Is this a moving violation. Is there any advice I have in fighting this ticket?

**A: was there a hole in your gas tank? What was the reason you ran out of gas?

CdwJava

drunknhik said:
I imagine the cite wasn't for "running out of gas" but, instead, for obstructing traffic in some way.

Running out of gas is a preventable situation. Chances are the officer was of the opinion that you should have seen the gas gauge was low and filled up much earlier. Your running out of gas on the bridge was a foreseeable and preventable consequence of your action. It would be similar to driving when you know the brakes were not working - you wouldn't be able to get out of responsibility by arguing that the brakes failed on you.

- Carl

drunknhik

I ran out of gas because I thought I had just enough to get me over the bridge where I was gonna call AAA.
The exact wording of the citation on the ticket is "Running out of gas"
I just called a lawyer who says he's never heard this before. If it will help the violation is sec 8 sub a5

CdwJava

drunknhik said:
I ran out of gas because I thought I had just enough to get me over the bridge where I was gonna call AAA.
The exact wording of the citation on the ticket is "Running out of gas"
I just called a lawyer who says he's never heard this before. If it will help the violation is sec 8 sub a5
Really? Who would think that running out of gas would be a violation? It could be a local municipal code ... I can't find a NY or NJ code that fits the section you provided. Is that exactly what is written on the violation: "sec 8 sub a5"? or is there more? And is it written in a different way?

- Carl

CdwJava

drunknhik said:
Sorry it's sec 81 sub a5
It still doesn't conform to the NY state traffic codes I can find.

You will have to contact whatever court this is out of and get a full citation for the violation if you want to find a way to defend it.

- Carl

You Are Guilty

My guess is you got cited for this:
VTL said:
§ 1181. Minimum speed regulations. (a) No person shall drive a motor
vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable
movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe
operation or in compliance with law.
Either way, you have no defense. "I didn't mean to" isn't going to hold water.

You Are Guilty

OK, how's this one grab you?
VTL said:
§ 1202. Stopping, standing or parking prohibited in specified places.
(a) Except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic, or when
in compliance with law or the directions of a police officer or official
traffic-control device, no person shall:
1. Stop, stand or park a vehicle:
g. Upon any bridge or other elevated structure upon a highway or
within a highway tunnel, unless otherwise indicated by official signs,
markings or parking meters;

But I think you'll like this one much more:
PA Regs said:
3.3 Stopping, Standing or Parking
Vehicles shall not stop, stand or park upon vehicular except (a) when necessary to avoid injury to persons or property; (b) while paying tolls; (c) yadda yadda yadda; (d)[highlight]when unable to proceed because of disability of the vehicle or operator[/highlight]...
http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/bridges/pdfs/green_book.pdf

qcxlvr1

He wrote "running out of gas" on the actual New York State Uniform Traffic Ticket? Frankly, if I was the judge, I would toss the ticket based on that.

What agency was this officer with? SP...PA? Did he give you a supporting deposition? Either way, it is not against the law to run out of gas. It is against the law to obstruct traffic, but running out of gas--no.

ismellbacon

You Are Guilty said:
My guess is you got cited for this:

Either way, you have no defense. "I didn't mean to" isn't going to hold water.

Amazing. A cop actually writes an impeding traffic ticket but its to someone who runs out of gas instead of the joker in the left lane going 55 in a 65 while bottle necking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">