• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

running a red light

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blogan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

A couple of weeks ago I got off work around 1am and I was really tired. I didn't want to pull over because it was late and I'm a female alone. When I got to the turning light and turned because I saw green. But a cop pulled me over and stated that I ran a red light.
My question is, can I use the time of night and me getting off work to contest the ticket??

Please help!!

CdwJava

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

A couple of weeks ago I got off work around 1am and I was really tired. I didn't want to pull over because it was late and I'm a female alone. When I got to the turning light and turned because I saw green. But a cop pulled me over and stated that I ran a red light.
My question is, can I use the time of night and me getting off work to contest the ticket??

Please help!!
I'm confused ... were you cited for running a rd light? Or, were you cited for not stopping for the officer?

If the former, why does being a woman out at 1 AM give you the right to run a red light? If you try and argue that you were tired, then the court may chastise you for putting the public at risk if you were unable to adhere to the rules of safe driving.

If you honestly do not believe you ran the red light, then take the matter to trial and have your say. But do not try to use the time of night or your gender as an excuse for running the light.

Now, if you were cited for not stopping for the officer, you might be able to make an argument with the proper articulation, assuming you eventually did yield within a reasonable distance after finding an appropriately lit place.

Perhaps you'd care to indicate the state you were in (the question you left in your post but failed to answer) and the code section for which you were cited?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">