• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Running red light/No turn on red

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wimsportav

What is the name of your state? FL
I have a question regarding a ticket I received this morning. I was driving a 45' tour bus and was travelling in heavy traffic in the right of a two lane right turn with a "No turn on red sign." Traffic was flowing about 20-25mph and the intersection had a displaced stop line about 40-50' from the corner. The light turned yellow just as I drove over the stop bar (at about 15-20mph) and became red as I was getting to the corner. I continued the turn, figuring it was not safe or possible to stop completely without causing a rear end collision or avoid entering the travel lane. A deputy pulled me over stating another deputy observed me running the red light. I told him, I specifically saw that I had entered the intersection as the light turned yellow, and proceeded with the turn to clear it. I plan to plead not guilty and contest. Am I right in thinking since I was already pass the stop line that I should have continued. I had 55 people on board (all of which were watching a movie) and I could not slam on brakes, or backup blind. Any advise?

Last edited:

racer72

A professional driver would have been aware of a stale green light and taken appropriate measures, such as reducing the speed of the vehicle. I would suggest talking to a local attorney. Your story is probably one of the most common excuses heard in court for your type of ticket. Judges tend to zone out when they have heard the same story for the 1000th time.

W

wimsportav

racer72 said:
A professional driver would have been aware of a stale green light and taken appropriate measures, such as reducing the speed of the vehicle.
Sure, I'll be sure to go 5 mph through every green light from now on, because it may be "stale" and about to turn yellow. Remember that the next time a 45' tour bus is going too slow in front of you. Fact is every light is green unless it something else. It makes no sense to try to preguess it's changing as you will only cause accidents that way.

JETX

wimsportav said:
Sure, I'll be sure to go 5 mph through every green light from now on, because it may be "stale" and about to turn yellow. Remember that the next time a 45' tour bus is going too slow in front of you. Fact is every light is green unless it something else. It makes no sense to try to preguess it's changing as you will only cause accidents that way.
Your initial post asked, "Any advise?"
Then you argue when given ADVICE!!! So, which is it?? Do you want to hear honest opinions and advice from knowledgeable people, or are you interested only in hearing from people who agree with you??

In any case, you were wrong. You are NEVER to enter an intersection on a yellow light. And the reason that a light turns from green to YELLOW (and not immediately to red) is to give you enough time to stop BEFORE you get to the intersection. Either you didn't pay attention to the light changing yellow and stop, or you were speeding and didn't have enough time to stop safely before entering the intersection. Either way, it sounds like you were in the wrong.

Don't 'kill the messenger' simply because he brought you news you didn't want to hear.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">