• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Running A Red Light (Sort Of) - Is It Possible To Have Them Drop Or Reduce The Fines?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tackyjan

Running A Red Light (Sort Of) - CA 21453(a) Infraction

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

The other night I stopped for a red light before the line at a "T-type" intersection. I watched the light for the other lane and observed that it turned red. I was in a bit of a hurry so, instead of waiting for my light to turn green, I proceeded (slowly) forward assuming my light would turn green right away. There was an unusual delay between the other light turning red and my light turning green and after about one second had passed and I realized my light had not turned green I immediately stopped (at that point my vehicle was over the first line but it had not crossed over the second line of the pedestrian crosswalk). I started to put my car in reverse to back up but my light turned green before I could do so then I proceeded forward and through the intersection.

Below are 2 images to demonstrate.

The first image shows my vehicle as it was when I first approached the red light and stopped. The second image shows my vehicle as it was after realizing my light had not turned green and where I came to a stop for the second time.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c380/michellecatssss/Junk/Intersection_ZOOM_STOPPED_zpsdd4d0dc9.png
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c380/michellecatssss/Junk/Intersection_ZOOM_MOVED_zps46740015.png

The unfortunate part of this story is that there was a police officer right behind me at the intersection. He pulled me over and gave me a ticket for running a red light, in California it's a 21453(a) vehicle code infraction.

To read the details for 21453(a) see here:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21453.html

I was thinking about pleading Not Guilty by TRIAL BY DECLARATION (a written trial done by mail).

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d17/vc40902.htm

In my argument I want to list some mitigating factors. Here are a few of the things I want to say:

- As I approached the red light I came to a complete stop before the first white line.

- I made sure that the other light turned red before proceeding. I also made sure that there were no cars or pedestrians in or near the intersection.

- As soon as I realized my light had not yet turned green (due to an unusual delay) I stopped before crossing the second pedestrian crossing line.

- I began to put my car in reverse to back out of the pedestrian area, however, the light turned green before I had a chance to reverse so I proceeded forward.

- The officer stated that my car was in the middle of the intersection while the light was red. This is not true. My vehicle was no where near the middle of the intersection.

- Vehicles that cross through a red light at a high rate of speed pose a serious risk to vehicles and/or pedestrians traveling through
the intersection. My situation had very little potential for risk due to the fact that I my speed was no more than 5 miles per
hour, the intersection was clear before I began to move forward, and my car was had not crossed over the second white line.

Do you think I have any chance of getting them to either drop the ticket, lower the charge (if possible), or at least reduce the fine?

I realize I made a mistake and technically I did run a red light but I am hoping that the court will consider the fact that this wasn't running a red light in the usual sense and that I wasn't all the way into the intersection.

I have another question regarding the TRIAL BY DECLARATION if anyone knows about California traffic law.

If I do a trial by declaration and I am found guilty I can do a "trial de novo" which means I can request a new trial in person.

If I am found guilty by trial by declaration can I then just plead guilty and pay the ticket online or do I have to attend the second trial in person?

Thank you very much. ;)

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

Sure, go ahead and do a TBWD. You will be found guilty based on your story. You may also receive a second ticket for improper backing, for wasting legal resources.

CdwJava

The CVC does not allow you to proceed into the intersection against a steady red light in anticipation of the light turning. Sorry, but I don't see a defense here.

If you got to a court trial, you might lose any traffic school option if you lose. So, you might also want to consider that.

OHRoadwarrior

Are you serious about getting a ticket for "wasting legal resources?"
I'm serious about you possibly getting another ticket for a written confession you backed out of an intersection toward the vehicle behind you, who happens to be the guy you are going to make chase paperwork and who witnessed your transgressions. As always YMMV.

tackyjan

I'm serious about you possibly getting another ticket for a written confession you backed out of an intersection toward the vehicle behind you, who happens to be the guy you are going to make chase paperwork and who witnessed your transgressions. As always YMMV.
Is the following not clear to you?..

"I began to put my car in reverse to back out of the pedestrian area, however, the light turned green before I had a chance to reverse so I proceeded forward."

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Is the following not clear to you?..

"I began to put my car in reverse to back out of the pedestrian area, however, the light turned green before I had a chance to reverse so I proceeded forward."
Is the following not clear to you? :cool:

The CVC does not allow you to proceed into the intersection against a steady red light in anticipation of the light turning. Sorry, but I don't see a defense here.

If you got to a court trial, you might lose any traffic school option if you lose. So, you might also want to consider that.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You're not going to get a second ticket.

Beyond that, what you feel is a "defense" is actually a confession to the infraction that you are charged with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">