• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sale Of A Car To Minor, Legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Schattilly

What is the name of your state?California My 16 year old son bought a car for 950.00 without our knowledge. He doesn't have a license, just a permit. There is no bill of sale, just the pink slip is signed but not made out to a buyer. Is it legal for someone to sell a vehicle to a minor? Doesn't the seller have to get the car smogged unless he sold it in "as is" condition? Without paperwork couldn't the seller call it in as stolen? If he got into an accident who would be liable, us as his parents? The person who the car is registered to?

qcxlvr1

Schattilly said:
What is the name of your state?California My 16 year old son bought a car for 950.00 without our knowledge. He doesn't have a license, just a permit. There is no bill of sale, just the pink slip is signed but not made out to a buyer. Is it legal for someone to sell a vehicle to a minor? Doesn't the seller have to get the car smogged unless he sold it in "as is" condition? Without paperwork couldn't the seller call it in as stolen? If he got into an accident who would be liable, us as his parents? The person who the car is registered to?
The contract (purchase of the car) is considered "voidable," on the part of the minor, since 16 is not the age of majority. I'd suggest having your son return the car and get his $950 back, and acquire a vehicle in a more legitimate fashion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">