• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

school bus

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

serf3469

I am in pa, and recently recieved a phone call from a policeman saying that I had passed a school bus while it was stopping. He said that it is a 250 dollar fine, 60 day driving suspension, and 6 points. He said the citation would be sent through the mail, my question is, is that i had been just about past the bus when it stopped and due to me not knowing where it was stopping because it had it's yellow lights flashing, I kept going and when i looked in my rear view mirror the stop sign was out. The whole situation is making me second guess everything, and i feel that i did right, and the policeman on the phone said it was called in from the bus driver. Also how long can a bus drive with it's yellow flashers on without stopping.

please help
also is there any lesser consequences then those listed above

Some Random Guy

If you feel that the bus is driving too long with its yellow flashers on, then contact the bus driver, school district or local police. This is no excuse for passing a school bus which has its flasher on.

Based on your facts, you have committed the offense.

lwpat

is no excuse for passing a school bus which has its flasher on.
I disagree. Just as you cannot stop on a dime when the green light turns yellow you cannot come to a screeching halt when the bus first puts on its flashers. I have stopped and then had them completely pass me and also I have had the opposite when they throw on the flashers and the stop sign at the same instant.

In this case there seems to be a difference of opinion. Unfortunately the testimony of the bus driver will be given the greater weight unless you can provide some type of defense. It may pay you to observe the bus stop and even videotape the actions of the driver. Visit the station and get a copy of the complaint.

In any event this is a very serious charge and you do not need to be trying to defend yourself without an attorney.

tipdrill

How in the world does the bus driver or the officer know who was driving the car? Did the driver admit he/she was the driver? Use your right to remain silent if anyone calls saying they are the police. You can be sure the conversation was probably recorded.

serf3469

10 feet

Is there a 10 feet rule for the bus, if you are past it???????????? some people tell me that with in a certain distance of the bus the stop sign shouldn't go out or something.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">