• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School Bus Issue Please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rhio

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I know it's a serious offense to pass a school bus when it is stopped and the lights are flashing red. I assumed that when the lights are flashing yellow, it is ok to proceed. Today, I was yelled at by a school bus driver for continuing to drive past her (going in opposite direction) while I thought her lights were flashing yellow. I apologized, and told her that it was yellow. She said that it was not, and if i had been paying attention and not on the phone I would have seen that. I still maintain that the lights were yellow. She was screaming at me and said that I was going to get a $250.00 fine. She had someone write down my license plate number. I am beside myself. I have been told by someone that a ticket of that nature would be 5 points, and I already had a point on my license.

There was NO POLICE officer, just this Bus Driver, who said that I would be getting the ticket. Is that possible? Is it legal to go past the bus in the opposite direction with its yellow lights flashing on?

I don't know what to do.

bonfireking

Same situation

I had the same situation happen to me but unfortunately, I got stopped by a police officer. I think it is a matter of opinion in this case. For me, I got fined $250.
As for the bus lady being able to have someone give you a ticket. I don't see how this is possible. I am sure the law enforcement would have to catch you.

I think you are in the safe but just watch out for those school buses. I try to take other routes. There is such a thin line there.

JETX

Rhio said:
There was NO POLICE officer, just this Bus Driver, who said that I would be getting the ticket. Is that possible?
Yep. The bus driver can file a complaint with the police and they will then issue a citation on her statement. She will then be the 'complainant' and have to testify in court as to your conduct.

Is it legal to go past the bus in the opposite direction with its yellow lights flashing on?
If it was in fact yellow, no violation. However, if it was in fact red, you could be in deep 'kimchi'.

I don't know what to do.
Don't do anything.... unless/until the police notice you of the violation and citation.

Bravo8

JETX is right on the money. It is common for the bus driver to flie a complaint with the police and have a citation issued.

It's also common for overzealous bus drivers to be full of BS....reporting people for going through their lights when they turned red AS the person was passing the bus driver's window, etc, etc.

As such, I (as a police officer) take these reports with a grain of salt.

xoxoPixiexoxo

Just Curious

I have no knowledge of PA driving laws, but I have a question...What kind of street was it? Two lanes, four? Median or no?

S

seniorjudge

Rhio said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I know it's a serious offense to pass a school bus when it is stopped and the lights are flashing red. I assumed that when the lights are flashing yellow, it is ok to proceed. Today, I was yelled at by a school bus driver for continuing to drive past her (going in opposite direction) while I thought her lights were flashing yellow. I apologized, and told her that it was yellow. She said that it was not, and if i had been paying attention and not on the phone I would have seen that. I still maintain that the lights were yellow. She was screaming at me and said that I was going to get a $250.00 fine. She had someone write down my license plate number. I am beside myself. I have been told by someone that a ticket of that nature would be 5 points, and I already had a point on my license.

There was NO POLICE officer, just this Bus Driver, who said that I would be getting the ticket. Is that possible? Is it legal to go past the bus in the opposite direction with its yellow lights flashing on?

I don't know what to do.

You can bet her report will say the lights were red AND you were talking on the phone.

If you do get a ticket, ask for diversion, meaning pleading to a nonmoving violation or to a less serious moving violation. You may have to pay more, but it will better for you in the long run because you will get no or fewer points.

If and when you go to court, ask the court clerk who you talk to about diversions.

Y

ylen13

if you get a ticket fight it, she is not a cop and has no traning on what the law is.

Bravo8

ylen13 said:
if you get a ticket fight it, she is not a cop and has no traning on what the law is.

That's not really the issue.

A police officer can file a citation on anyone based off the testimony of the complainant.

Does she have to be a police officer in order to know that passing a school bus with flashing red lights is illegal? No. Does she have to be a police officer to see a vehicle pass a school bus with flashing red ligths? No.

Rhio

Thanks for replying. :)

Thank you for your replies everyone. :)

It was a 2 lane road..one lane going in each direction.

JETX

Alchohol_Free said:
There's legislation going here that will ban cell phone use while driving.
And what the hell does 'possible' future legislation have to do with this issue??

Rhio

Update.. charges dropped. :)

Just to let you all know, the charges were dropped. I talked with the officer, who was very nice. (Thank goodness). He asked me what happened, and if i was in fact, on the phone. I told him, yes, I was on the phone. He asked how many car lengths away from the bus I was and I told him about One. He then told me that the bus driver should not have been yelling at me. (My daughter could hear her yelling at me through my cell phone, and her assistant sitting across from her could even hear it through my daughter's phone which was not even on speakerphone). He said that he wanted to talk to the bus driver, and her boss, and that I shouldnt be worried, that he may need to give me some form of ticket, but he didnt think that he would have to give me the actual fine that the bus driver was referring to, which is actually more like 300-350 dollars, 5 points and 2 months AUTOMATIC loss of license. Of course, I was still worried about it until i heard back from him. He called back and said that the entire thing was going to be dropped, and that he told the bus driver's boss to remind the drivers that they are NOT to be putting out their flashers when cars are only 1 car length in front of them.

Thank you all for your help.

JETX

serf3469 said:
I am in pa, and recently recieved a phone call from a policeman saying that I had passed a school bus while it was stopping. He said that it is a 250 dollar fine, 60 day driving suspension, and 6 points. He said the citation would be sent through the mail, my question is, is that i had been just about past the bus when it stopped and due to me not knowing where it was stopping because it had it's yellow lights flashing, I kept going and when i looked in my rear view mirror the stop sign was out. The whole situation is making me second guess everything, and i feel that i did right, and the policeman on the phone said it was called in from the bus driver. Also how long can a bus drive with it's yellow flashers on without stopping.

please help
also is there any lesser consequences then those listed above.
You're placing your post in the middle of someone elses (hijacking their thread) is both rude (in diverting attention from them to you) and confusing (when you think an answer is to you when it isn't).
Delete your post in this thread and start your own and a responsible person might consider answering.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">