• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School Zone Clarification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cvwild

This is regarding a violation in Utah.

My question is if speeding in a school zone (and the attached increased fines) applies to all hours of the day, or only when the reduced speed limit in active?

I was traveling North bound through a school zone. The reduced speed lights were NOT ACTIVE for North bound traffic, thus the regular speed limit applies (40 mph). I was traveling with the flow of traffic at a speed of 50 mph. I was speeding, I recognize that, and take full responsibility. A police officer pulled me over. The officer informed me that I was speeding through the school zone at 30 mph over the speed limit. I said that the lights were not on, and he said that they were and pointed to the South bound traffic lights on the opposite side of the road. At this point I was able to see the reduced speed limit sign for the South bound traffic. These lights were still on, but were turned off within one minute of my being pulled over. However, when he returned from his motorcycle he said that he took 20 mph off the ticket. The ticket reads that I was "Speeding: 50 in a 20 zone**************... Miles Over: 10"

I am sure that the lights for the Northbound traffic were OFF when I was traveling through the school zone. The police officer was positioned more than half a block past the lights, and thus had no way of knowing if they were on or off.

I am sure that they were off, so the next day I returned to the school zone at the same time, and watched as the crossing guard walked to the lights and turned them off for the North bound traffic, resetting the speed limit to 40. I then traveled through the intersection to find that the lights for the South bound traffic were still ON. Just as they were the day previous when I was pulled over.

Again, to restate my question: Is the school zone active, and thus the fines still increased, even when the reduced speed limit sign lights are OFF? Also, any suggestions?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">