• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School Zone Speeding Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cyric51

What is the name of your state? Illinois

On my way to a job interview, I was pulled over. the cop stated that I was doing 32 in a 20. I was not speeding, as I had left in plenty of time to get to the interview. When the cop approached my car, he asked for just my license, and asked if I saw either the sign or the kids. I saw neither and said so. I did not see any kids until I pulled up to the actual crossing, and I stopped and waited for kids to cross the street. This was at 8:50 in the morning, a time when I assume kids are in school. I don't have children, but when I was in high school it started at 8:30.

when I went back through later, I saw the sign with the flashing light on it, but 2 feet in front of it, there was a telephone poll that was blocking the sign. is this enough to get me out of this ticket, or should I just suck it up and pay the fine? Also, does the lack of children present when i was still doing 30 make any difference? i must have been clocked about 500 before the sign, because by the time i passed the sign i was already slowing down because of the stop light. What other helpful hints does everyone have.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

H

hexeliebe

when I went back through later, I saw the sign with the flashing light on it, but 2 feet in front of it, there was a telephone poll that was blocking the sign. is this enough to get me out of this ticket
No, a telephone pole doesn't block a school sign with flashing lights if you're paying attention.

should I just suck it up and pay the fine?
Yep.

Also, does the lack of children present when i was still doing 30 make any difference?
No, the flashing sign was all the "notice" required to signify this was an active school zone.

i must have been clocked about 500 before the sign, because by the time i passed the sign i was already slowing down because of the stop light.
Once you passed the sign you were in violation. And in some places, even before. The sign doesn't necessarily mean you are 'entering' the zone, only that you are 'in' the zone.

lwpat

Normally there are other signs before the flashing sign that give the speed limit and time frame for the school zone. I suggest that you take another look and report back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">