• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seat Belt Ticket & Threatened

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yankees98a

Posting here since I was told it's a moving violation so this is the right forum to post in

What is the name of your state? NY (NYC)

At my father's house for Thanksgiving, I took my sister-in law and nephew to the mall. On the way back I was going to CVS for some items. I pulled into the parking lot. Ejected seat belt and as I was opening door police car came into parking lot flashed lights. Said to me I wasn't wearing my selt belt (a lie). I said I was. Gave me ticket. Told me dont worry its only $90 and no points. AFTER THE TICKET I asked for the officer names. His partner asked me if I wanted another seat belt ticket for my nephew (who also had his belt on).

I went straight to the police station who gave me a complaint # (civilian board)which I promptly called. Also left a vmail for the captain, called internal affairs, and sent out a letter to the justice department civil rights division.

I don't care about the $. What bothers me is that the cops were corrupt making up a charge and threatening me when I asked for their name. If I was smarter I would of had a recorder.

Now when I go to court, beside my two witnesses and my complaints, any advice?

Obviously my vacation day is more valuable than a court date and the money isn't major as I work in finance but I am innocent so it's the point. If they can do it to me, they must do it all the time.

Hey There

Clicking, Reading, Finds Information,

11-25-07
yankees98a

Information on obtaining the officer's notes and any evidence that he plans to use in court can be obtained by a request for Informal Discovery. This is simply a request you can make for the information and have a friend (NOT you) hand deliver or mail (certified, return receipt requested) to the officer who issued the ticket and the D.A. How to file for Discovery can be obtained by going to Google and typing in Discovery for Traffic Tickets.
If Discovery is unavailable in NY a Request for Public Records can accomplish the same thing. Instructions on how to do this can be obtainedthru Google by typing in Request for Public Records. You can request that the information be provided within 10 days.
A book published by NOLO on beating traffic tickets should be available from your local library. This book gives details on asking for a continuance (request for a later court date) and questions to ask the officer at court should he show up.

Let us know how this turns out.
Best Regards,
Hey There

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">