• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seat Belt Ticket-Tim Hortons Drive Thru

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

The Fuzz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Pulled in off of highway with seat belt on, proceeded to the drive thru in tim hortons and while in the drive thru took off my seat belt to get my wallet outta my back pocket, Police officer was in the parking lot parked and saw me with the seat belt off, he then came over and gave me a ticket. This is also my first ticket since i've had my license. Anyway i can fight this and not have to pay the fine? I am from Nfld ( Canada ).

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Pulled in off of highway with seat belt on, proceeded to the drive thru in tim hortons and while in the drive thru took off my seat belt to get my wallet outta my back pocket, Police officer was in the parking lot parked and saw me with the seat belt off, he then came over and gave me a ticket. This is also my first ticket since i've had my license. Anyway i can fight this and not have to pay the fine? I am from Nfld ( Canada ).
US Law ONLY. :cool:

hwypigs

Ticket answer

Don't understand the responses from the other posters. Yes you can fight the ticket - but it will probably cost you more in time and lost wages, than simply paying the ticket. My first offense seatbelt fine was $196. (calif) Hopefully it's less where you were ticketed. Hiring a Lawyer is expensive, and still may not guarantee success. You can try to find an error or something on the citation that is incorrect and that may void the ticket. You have the legal right to subpoena witnesses and other evidence which may help your case. The legal system does not make it easy, or cheap to fight back. Ask the court clerk for info. on filing for a "Trial by Written Declaration". If you challenge the ticket, You can hope that the citing officer fails to showup for the trial. That MAY get the charge dismissed. If it comes down to YOUR word - verses the citing officer - you're toast. If you're serious about fighting the ticket - you'll have to do your homework. The Pigs here are now pulling over and citing drivers for seatbelt violations - without any other cause.

OHRoadwarrior

First, your obviously youthful and ignorant post is directed to someone in a foreign country. This forum only deals with US law. We will oversee the absurdity of you spending the time to register, in order to promote your personal agenda.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Don't understand the responses from the other posters...
And we do not understand yours - this forum is specifically for United States law ONLY.

Besides, you obviously know nothing about Canadian law. Using California as an example is rather pointless.

You Are Guilty

After all my years here, I am starting to think maybe it's better that we permit these stupid posts in order to ID the weirdos, so at least we will know who is who.

Then again, this is all just because of the full moon anyway.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This is to the OP:

We're not just being obstructionist or petty. US law and Canadian law are not the same. Even in the US, the law varies from state to state. We have one expert on Canadian employment law, but she does not know law in other areas, and we have no other Canadian law experts who can assist.

Because we share a 3500 or so mile border and more or less share a language, there is an assumption that the law is also the same. It isn't.

I would think Tim Horton's is private property and the cop had no business doing what he did. I was from NY and one time the state police use to park on private property and set up radar without the owners consent. Tickets were dismissed.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would think Tim Horton's is private property and the cop had no business doing what he did. I was from NY and one time the state police use to park on private property and set up radar without the owners consent. Tickets were dismissed.
Ahh, another expert on CANADIAN law, huh? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You Are Guilty

I'm going to file this right after "Found Bigfoot" in my file of Things That Never Happened.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you're going to use mildly derogatory terms that you don't fully understand, you can at least spell them right. The term is Canuck, and at least in the Northeast, is one of those terms that can only be used by other Canadians without being offensive.

Signed,

A Northeast Canadian.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">