• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seat belt violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gayleas

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

My husband received a ticket for not wearing his seat belt. He was wearing his seat belt, but removed it when the cop came up to the window. He explained that to the cop, but he would not listen. We always wear our seat belts and I want to fight this because it is the principle, not the ticket amount. We can produce close friends and family members who will verify that his seat belt is always used. (One friend is a communications director at a local police department.) The cop was facing into the sun and it was difficult to see. Is it worth our while to fight this and will this ticket affect our insurance rates?

I_Got_Banned

The question that might come up if you choose to fight this is: "If he was wearing his seatbelt then why did he get pulled over?"

gayleas

He got a warning ticket for a supposedly rolling stop. He has not had a ticket of any kind or even a police stop in over 25 years. His record is spotless.

I_Got_Banned

He got a warning ticket for a supposedly rolling stop. He has not had a ticket of any kind or even a police stop in over 25 years. His record is spotless.
So the officer gave him a break on one "alleged" violation and wrote him up for another...

As for your original question about your insurance rates, as far as I can tell, a seat belt violation carries no points in Illinois. However, you must keep in mind that insurance companies do not necessarily adhere to the same point system when rating a policy. I would guess that a seat belt violation, and all be it a zero point violation will somehow affect your premium rates. But, only your insurance company can give you a more definitive answer about that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">