• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A seatbelt ticket turned ugly

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

silver_lining?

What is the name of your state? NC

Now that I am following the correct procedural guidelines, I would like to try this one more time:
I had recieved a seat belt ticket in the tune of 100$. I had forgotten about it and then recieved a request for my NC Drivers Licenece. Does this mean my driving privalages have been revoked? How can I avoid surrendering my licnense which is important for me getting to work and school? If I pay this fine, will I be able to retain my driving privalages and/or will I be able to go down to the DMV and be issued a new one? I am near dire straights on this one, and beleive I am running out of luck.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

racer72

Only the court that handled the ticket and the DMV can answer your questions. Visiting the court with enough cash to pay the fine plus any penalties would likely be a good start.

xylene

Did you read what was sent?

I had recieved a seat belt ticket in the tune of 100$. I had forgotten about it and then recieved a request for my NC Drivers Licenece. Does this mean my driving privalages have been revoked?
Yes. To my understanding of failure to pay fines in NC, the DMV has suspended your driving privileges for failure to pay court fines... and to ensure you understand they have sent you notification and a demand they get their document back.

How can I avoid surrendering my licnense which is important for me getting to work and school?
You don't get it. YOU cannot legally drive now. Your driving privileges are suspended. The license is just a piece of paper. Not giving the license back is just stupidity. You being thick doesn't make it legal to drive.

If I pay this fine, will I be able to retain my driving privalages and/or will I be able to go down to the DMV and be issued a new one?
Because you ignored the fine...

You must pay the original fine,

plus any added court penalties for not paying on time.

PLUS you must pay a drivers license reinstatment fee.

PLUS you must pay the regular charge for a new license, since they recalled your current license which is no longer valid EVEN when your driving privileges are reinstated.

I am near dire straights on this one, and beleive I am running out of luck.
Well, luck is not what you ran out of. You ran out of TIME. Pay fines promptly and avoid state draconian penalties. But then again, would you have 'remembered' to pay the fine without this sanction?

xylene

I would be more than happy to do that Racer72 bar the extreme fear of incarceration. Is that a possibility?

Is this your only violation, or do you have numerous outstanding fines?

Do you have a long criminal traffic record?

Are you on probation or parole?

If the answer to these questions are all NO... jail is unlikely.

IF YES to any questions the possibility of jail is more likely.

----

If you drive while suspended and get pulled over - jail is certain.

silver_lining?

Im in a lot of hot water, this unescapable and certain...
in a lighthearted tone, because I love to smile I recall that IBM commercial where the king asks what to do about this dragon. A large bag of loot is thrown on the table, "Throw money at it" a consultant replies. I am joking completely. Thank you all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">