• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sent to wrong court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lowvolt

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I received a ticket for "criminal" speeding on the interstate north of Phoenix yesterday. Since I was guilty and live 100 miles from there, I showed up in the court at the address designated on the ticket to pay the fine and accept responsibility that same day, thinking it would save me a trip.

The clerk at the court showed me a map and told me that this violation occurred far outside their jurisdiction (should have been sent to another municipal court), and that I would have to return to court at the designated time to straighten it out. She "hinted" that the ticket might be thrown out at that time because of the mistake by the DPS officer.

I'm really concerned that this could get bounced around ad nauseum. Not that I really want to pay the fine and get points on my record, but I'm not trying to weasle out of this. I just don't want to spend 100 bucks on gas and three working days trying to find a place to pay a 165 dollar speeding ticket. Due to the "criminal" nature of this ticket, there is no provision to just send in a fine.

Ideas on how to proceed?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">