• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

serious violation of rights and due process. someone please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CHILLYDOG7

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? california
i was arrested for dui after being pulled over for speeding one night. i was truthful (never do that again) and told the cop i had 3 beers with dinner over a 4 hour period. he arrested me, gave me a breathalyzer test (never informed me of a choice to take a blood test) which came up a .13. i explained to the cop that i work with chemicals including alcohol, acetone, and methyl ethyl keytone which get inhaled as a part of my daily job. needless to say i spent the night in jail. i get out the next day and my license is gone. i immediately hired a lawyer to help me out as i am innocent and will plead not guilty. four months later (my license was taken by dmv even though i still hadn't had my trial yet) i am driving home from work when a cop ripped around a corner and almost sideswiped my truck. i gave the cop a dirty look but just continued on my way. i then stopped at a friends place in a local apartment complex. i'm parked, out of my truck and already about 100 feet away when that cop came flying in the driveway. he yelled at me to get back in my truck and when i asked why, he told me to "shut up and do as i said." i walked back to my truck and got inside(stupid mistake). the officer approached my truck and said he pulled me over for not having a seat belt on. i told him he never pulled me over in the first place and that he almost caused an accident with me. then he got all mad and asked for license, insurance, registration. I gave him my registration and insurance then explained to him that the police took my license and that i havn't been convicted of the dui. my trial was only a week away and my temp licencse had just expired 2 days prior. he then grabbed me, cuffed me and threw me in the cruiser and told me oh well thats what happens when you drive drunk (yet i haven't even been convicted yet). He then informed me that he would search my vehicle and if he didn't find anything he would let me go. I told him search away. He procceeded to rip apart my truck, my personal belongings and anything else he could get his hands on. After finding nothing he came back (even madder now) and said instead of taking me to jail he was going to give me a ticket and impound my truck for 30 days. i tried reasoning with him, but he just treated me like some drugged up criminal. Anyway the next week at trial (a 4 day event) I proved myself innocent. It was so obvious to everyone i was innocent that the d.a. congradulated us and went home for the day before the jury even finished deliberating. As we're sitting there (totally stoked the system actually worked for me cuz i had my doubts) the judge out of nowhere declares that a clerical error had been made by his secretary and declared a mistrial. (the error was that i had a prior dui 4 years ago and the case docket was "accidentally" given to the jury with the rest of the evidence. They immediately scheduled a retrial to begin june 18. It just so happens that my lawyer just got hired on with the public defenders office and would no longer be able to handle my case. Even though there was no verdict i'm still liable for the 2500 dollars to my lawyer for the trial. That exhausted all my monetary resources and am now unable to afford another attorney to represent me. Then the court tells me i make to much money to be appointed a public defender which i thought was my constitutional right. i know if i represent myself i will lose. on top of all that when i went to get my truck out of impound(expensive) they told me that my bank had repossesed it because of the impound (after i had talked to them and they said they wouldn't). So far this has cost me my vehicle, ruined my credit for the next 7 or more years and am now held liable for the money on my truck still owed and for the 1st trial. i know this is wrong and i've been getting more stressed out each week that passes. i did nothing wrong and the police just steals my property and destroys me financially as well as credit wise. They have offered plea bargains but i will not settle because i am innocent and i will not let them take my self respect and dignity along with my right to prosper and own property. If anyone has any ideas or information to throw my way i would greatly appreciate it. All i want is my life back. Please help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">