• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seriously Confusing Situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JoshAK

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? West Virginia

Wife found out last week her license was suspended when Geico called and told us. We call the courthouse, and they say it's from a speeding ticket 2 years ago where she also had no proof of insurance on her.

She went to the courthouse with our kids when the ticket was issued two years ago. I was working and could not watch the kids. She took proof of insurance. They changed it to a warning. She said she felt like the guy gave it to her because she had twin newborns, and he was being very nice.

Well we moved since then to a new county and don't have the paperwork anymore. We thought this was completely taken care of, living our lives like normal. Apparently it wasn't taken care of at all. She doesn't know the guy's name. She just remembers he was an African American gentlemen on the third floor in an office with "Legal" on the door. The tickets are outstanding, and her license has been suspended.

What should I do next? We can't swing the ticket price and whatever else until next month, so we plan on going then. Are we going to get there and them arrest my wife? She's a grade school teacher with no prior arrests or problems with the law. Should I get a lawyer and get ready for a battle? I can get proof the vehicle was insured at the time. I really appreciate any advice and apologize for the length of the post.

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">