• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Setting up radar in church parking lot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

virginiamother

i recently received a speeding ticket in the state of virginia, in which the police officer clocked me on radar while she was parked in a church parking lot. i was wondering if it was legal to set up radar on private propety or church (non-profit organization) propety?

Thanks a bunch!

JETX

"To receive the most complete legal information to your question,
you must include the State Name; Be Brief; To The Point; Type In Lower Case Letters.
Please help us help you!"

V

virginiamother

i am sorry, but i am not sure exactly what i did wrong???

i gave the state name: virginia
i typed in lower case
i tried to be brief....

i apologize, as i am new at this.

racer72

The church parking lot is considered a public venue, the officer is allowed to use it for traffic control and enforcement.

JETX

Virginiamother, I apologize. For some reason, I just read right past your state......

As for your answer, most states have procedural restrictions that define any radar set on private property as being a 'speed trap' and not allowed by policy. I don't know if this applies to your state or even municipality (if a local ticket). I would suggest you consider asking a local traffic attorney (this can be done on the phone at probably no cost) or possibly you can ask the issuing police department if a ticket from a private property is allowed.

V

Vincent Cosent

Halkert is correct!

Its always possible that a law or ordinance prohibits this and sometimes its required to have permission from the property owner to park on private property but in the case of public places such as shopping malls,churches etc. it probably is legal unless the owner notifies the police that they arent welcome.Check with your local officials to be sure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">