• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I appeal this minor citation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kamill

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I was cited for "failing to use care in stopping" after being involved in a 3-car accident. The woman in front of me rear-ended a tow truck that had just slammed on his brake and then I rear-ended her car. We were driving in slow stop-and-go traffic around really busy merging area. Even though I maintained the same distance in front of me as other cars traveling the same road, I was unable to react fast enough to avoid the collision as I was just beginning to accelerate from a stop. There was almost no visible damage on the back of the car that I hit but the driver asked for and was picked up by an ambulance.

I have always been a very safe driver, this is my first ever citation/accident in about 8 years of driving. Many people have told me that I should try to appeal this minor citation but I'm not sure if I have any chance. If you think I should, I would appreciate any tips on how I should present my case in court.

Also, should the police have cited the woman in front of me for the same thing since she also failed to stop? (She wasn't cited)

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

racer72

What is there to appeal? The only defense to a citation is proving you did not commit the infraction. You ran into a stopped vehicle, the citation appears to be valid. You can talk to a local attorney, you may be able to negotiate a reduced sentence or better yet, get the ticket dismissed because of a technicality.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">