• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I fight it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sadlyspeeding

Indiana
County of Lake
Town of New Chicago

I recently received a speeding ticket and I am wondering if I should fight it or if I even have a case.

I had attended a show in the town of New Chicago and left around 11pm. I exited the parking lot behind an office and turned left following them to a stop sign. About a block later, they parked in a parking lot and I continued on. Seconds later, I spotted the flashing lights and I immediately pulled over. The officer approached my car, said hello and I instantly handed him my license and registration. He said nothing except that hello and walked away. At this point, I had no clue what I was being pulled over for. About 10 minutes later, he returned with a ticket and says "Here is your information, you need to slow down, you were speeding, the city of New Chicago will contact you with what to do next," and walked back to his vehicle and left. He didn't ask me any questions and didn't really give me any chance to say anything before walking away.

When I looked at the ticket, it is barely readable and says I was doing 31mph in a 20 zone. The area this apparent violation occured is a bit of a rough area due to crime being right next to Gary. Other than this fact, I know nothing of it, and stay away from there. I live about 20 minutes away. I also feel like from the stop sign to where I was stopped, was not enough time to even reach the speed of 31 mph.

Is it worth it to fight? I'm currently unemployed and a student so a $190 ticket is really rough for me right now. I am trying to avoid it at all costs. I am 22 and have gotten 2 other speeding tickets, but they were both over 4 years ago. I have not gotten pulled over since then. Thanks!

sadlyspeeding, I believe everyone should fight there ticket, as someone who has been cited for a minor infraction you do have rights to a fair trial and such and I suggest that you invoke those rights, If you wave them and you make it easier to be convicted that's your call but I know personally if I was cited and I was on camera and being recorded and I admitted to the crime you bet I'll still be there saying NOT GUILTY, due to the simple fact that the cop just might not show up and the face being dismissed.
I'de invoke every right they are there for a reason even if they don't pertain to your case I would invoke them anyways to get the case thrown out.
Plus being convicted during trial is not any worse then straight pleading guilty.

Indiana
County of Lake
Town of New Chicago

I recently received a speeding ticket and I am wondering if I should fight it or if I even have a case.

I had attended a show in the town of New Chicago and left around 11pm. I exited the parking lot behind an office and turned left following them to a stop sign. About a block later, they parked in a parking lot and I continued on. Seconds later, I spotted the flashing lights and I immediately pulled over. The officer approached my car, said hello and I instantly handed him my license and registration. He said nothing except that hello and walked away. At this point, I had no clue what I was being pulled over for. About 10 minutes later, he returned with a ticket and says "Here is your information, you need to slow down, you were speeding, the city of New Chicago will contact you with what to do next," and walked back to his vehicle and left. He didn't ask me any questions and didn't really give me any chance to say anything before walking away.

When I looked at the ticket, it is barely readable and says I was doing 31mph in a 20 zone. The area this apparent violation occured is a bit of a rough area due to crime being right next to Gary. Other than this fact, I know nothing of it, and stay away from there. I live about 20 minutes away. I also feel like from the stop sign to where I was stopped, was not enough time to even reach the speed of 31 mph.

Is it worth it to fight? I'm currently unemployed and a student so a $190 ticket is really rough for me right now. I am trying to avoid it at all costs. I am 22 and have gotten 2 other speeding tickets, but they were both over 4 years ago. I have not gotten pulled over since then. Thanks!

The Occultist

Plus being convicted during trial is not any worse then straight pleading guilty.
Not necessarily true. By fighting the charges and being found guilty, there is no chance for a plea bargain which could result in no/fewer points. Also, in many areas, fighting the charges could mean that the option to take traffic school to get rid of the points gets removed from the table.

sadlyspeeding, you should probably consider seeking legal representation. Yes, a lawyer could be pricey (potentially even more than the fine of your ticket), but it's an investment that could save you more money overall (if found responsible for the charges, you could find that the increase in your insurance premium costs more than the attorney). A local attorney knows best what the courts want to hear, and as such present the highest potential in yielding the most favorable results. Many attorneys will offer free/cheap consultations, so you should take advantage of this and sit down with a couple to see what insight they may have to offer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">