• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I fight my first speed ticket ever???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mnwind

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN.

The police officer gave me a ticket yesterday for "not slowing down quickly enough". I was on my way to a post office. My speed was about 55 on high way. After I entered the small road with 30 miles/hour limit, I reduced the speed. It is a very short street, about 200-300 yards. The officer said that my speed was about 41 when he measured. It must be during the process I reduced the speed. My car already completely stopped in front of a stop sign when he pulled me over.

I told the officer that I have a clean driving record. He smiled and told me that only 30 seconds I would be on my way. I thought he was going to give me a warning. But two minutes later he came back with a speed ticket. What made me angry was that he told me "this is your first and your last ticket". He even asked me to meet with "hearing officer" to settle it without challenging it. Per him, "either way you pay for it".

Do I have any chance at all to fight for this ticket? If not, I will try to settle it with a pay for dismissal.

mnwind

Here is the summary: the speed of my car went from 50mph to 0 in a short distance. The speed limit sign is located at the middle of the way. I'm pretty confident that my speed was within or close to 30mph at the sign. The officer measured my speed before I even reached the sign.

The sign that said 30mph meant at the sign. It did not mean 25 feet past the sign or 50 feet past the sign.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">