• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I fight my speeding ticket?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

speeeding

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Today I was pulled over for speeding. It is a $138 ticket. The ticket itself says that I was going 30 in a 25, but in the notes at the bottom it says I was going 43 in a 25 and he lowered it to 30 once he pulled me over. Is this ticket worth fighting because it says two different speeds? Or should I just pay it and let it go. I am mainly worried that once I go to court they will raise the ticket back up to 43 in a 25, which would give me 3 points on my license and be about 300 - 400 dollars instead.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Today I was pulled over for speeding. It is a $138 ticket. The ticket itself says that I was going 30 in a 25, but in the notes at the bottom it says I was going 43 in a 25 and he lowered it to 30 once he pulled me over. Is this ticket worth fighting because it says two different speeds? Or should I just pay it and let it go. I am mainly worried that once I go to court they will raise the ticket back up to 43 in a 25, which would give me 3 points on my license and be about 300 - 400 dollars instead.
Looking that old gift horse in the mouth, eh?

What did he use to measure your speed? Can you file a discovery to get foundation of the measuring method (Calibration, Certifications)?
The two measurements are not an error and would not help IMO. Sounds like he was cutting you a break?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What did he use to measure your speed? Can you file a discovery to get foundation of the measuring method (Calibration, Certifications)?
The two measurements are not an error and would not help IMO. Sounds like he was cutting you a break?
Hey Smithers -

If you don't have STATE SPECIFIC information, then quit throwing out the red herrings.

FlyingRon

Gosh things are crawling out from under the rocks.

PA only the state police get to user radar. They are more than versed in RADAR calibration. It's near impossible to beat them up on that.

The local cops can pace or use one of the glorified stopwatches (ROBIC, VASCAR, ENRADD, ...). You can tell the latter as there usually is a distance and a time marked on the ticket.
There's no "calibration" necessary for these.

You can go to court and it's unlikely that you will end up worse off than you are now (other than wasting your time). Absent the cop falling over dead and failing to make court, you've not indicated anything that is exculpatory. Arguing that you were going faster than cited is NOT going to help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">