• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I fight a red light camera ticket. California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tallan

Hi all!

I just got a red light camera ticket today in my mail. I was just the passenger and the driver was a friend of mine who is an international student. He doesn't have any US drivers license, only his foreign one (It is still valid to drive with here in CA).

I've been thinking about fighting it because you can clearly see that the driver is not me (He's european and I'm asian).

Is there anyone in here who is almost in the same spot that I am in right now?

Should I fight it or tell him to pay the 480 dollars fine? If I decide to fight it, do you guys think I will have a big chance to have this case dismissed?

Tallan

You realize you will be required to identify the driver right?

I have read about it and you actually don't have to identify the driver. I read that you are under no legal obligation to tell the judge who the driver was.

Honest opinion from you guys, do you think I can have this case dismissed? The tricky part is that I was in the passenger seat when the camera flashed us. The picure of me is censored.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have read about it and you actually don't have to identify the driver. I read that you are under no legal obligation to tell the judge who the driver was.

Honest opinion from you guys, do you think I can have this case dismissed? The tricky part is that I was in the passenger seat when the camera flashed us. The picure of me is censored.
All you need to prove is that it was NOT you driving.

Tallan

All you need to prove is that it was NOT you driving.
So a trial by written declaration should be enough to prove that I was not driving and have the case dismissed? Do you think they will send papers back to me to identify the driver etc?

Zigner

So a trial by written declaration should be enough to prove that I was not driving and have the case dismissed? Do you think they will send papers back to me to identify the driver etc?
If would be much more effective to appear in person. I doubt that a copy of your ID will be sufficient (they are easily faked)...you will need to actually show your face in court to prove that you are not the guy in the picture.

Tallan

If would be much more effective to appear in person. I doubt that a copy of your ID will be sufficient (they are easily faked)...you will need to actually show your face in court to prove that you are not the guy in the picture.
Thanks for the answers Zigner! What do you think if I send a copy of my passport, and ID. That too me must be sufficient evidence to show that I was not the driver. I would rather not go to court, but if I have to then I will go.

Zigner

Thanks for the answers Zigner! What do you think if I send a copy of my passport, and ID. That too me must be sufficient evidence to show that I was not the driver. I would rather not go to court, but if I have to then I will go.
You can try...but I betcha that a decent Photoshop guy can make digital copies of those too. The good thing about the TBWD is that if you're found guilty, you can ask for a new trial and it will be like the TBWD never happened.

Tallan

You can try...but I betcha that a decent Photoshop guy can make digital copies of those too. The good thing about the TBWD is that if you're found guilty, you can ask for a new trial and it will be like the TBWD never happened.
Thanks! I think I'm gonna stick with a TBWD.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">