• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should i go to court with my new license after driving after revoked? legal stop?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

redracer024

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I was pulled over for DUI a few yrs ago. It took over a yr of continuances to get charged and lost my license last jan. I didnt drive in this period and was under the assumption once my year was up that i would be ok.
One day as my mom drove me to work she was way too tired to drive home so i did and got pulled over because my "seat was too far back". i didnt go to jail, they gave me a court date for
driving after revoked. so i found out i need to pay MN 680.00 via money order to get the hold off my license as i never got a TN one when i moved.
I was ready to do this but i was wondering if there is any point in continuing if they are just going to pull it again in 2 weeks at court? A guy i work with got pulled over for the same thing, got his back before court and got a 2$ fine+court fees in a different county

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you don't clear up the MN licensing issue, you won't be able to get a TN license.

redracer024

i know that but should i clear up the MN thing and get my TN license before court if it may just get suspended again and ill have to pay another TN reinstatement fee or will possibly having my license back at court get the charges reduced since i was out of my initial 1 year suspension

Zigner

i know that but should i clear up the MN thing and get my TN license before court if it may just get suspended again and ill have to pay another TN reinstatement fee or will possibly having my license back at court get the charges reduced since i was out of my initial 1 year suspension
You should definitely clear up the MN issue. Furthermore, you can't legally continue to use your MN license in TN now that you are a TN resident. If your license is going to be suspended, it's going to be suspended.

Consult with a local (to the appropriate court) traffic attorney.

redracer024

so you think it would be best to clear up my MN and get my TN license before i go in to court? cause if i just waited as if they were going to suspend it again anyways i would only have to pay the 1 reinstatement fee still, whereas if i clear up my MN and get my TN then they suspend it yet again at court in 2 weeks ill have to pay the 680 to MN now then pay the TN reinstatement whenever that is up.

Zigner

so you think it would be best to clear up my MN and get my TN license before i go in to court? cause if i just waited as if they were going to suspend it again anyways i would only have to pay the 1 reinstatement fee still, whereas if i clear up my MN and get my TN then they suspend it yet again at court in 2 weeks ill have to pay the 680 to MN now then pay the TN reinstatement whenever that is up.
I think your logic is faulty. The actions you take with MN are entirely separate from those you will be taking with TN. You're going to have to pay whatever reinstatement fees to MN AND to TN (if TN does, in fact, suspend your license.)

Again, consult with a traffic attorney for more personalized advice...mine is just a logical layman's take on the matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">