• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sigh - 74 in a 55

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bbua87

Well, I live in northeastern Ohio and tonight I received my first speeding ticket and of course, I'm panicking.

I'm a freshman in college and I've only had my license for 6 months but I was clocked doing 74 in a 55. I'm not arguing, I know I was speeding, nothing to argue about so I'm not going to set a court date as long as I don't have to.

All I really want to know is an estimate of how much the ticket is going to cost me and how much my insurance will increase. I'd also like to know what a lot of stuff on the ticket means, like (M.P _), ORC and the numbers that officer wrote which was 4511.210-1 (I think, can't really read his handwriting), and also the officer remarks which mine say 11-73.7% and something like S-1125.6FF - i don't know about that number though because I can't read it at all.

I'm mainly just terrified and shocked still. yep.

cepe10

Your insurance hike can be as much as 30% or so over the next few years. Unless you feel very generous to the state and insurance companies you may want to reconsider challenging the citation.... a $500 lawyer charge to cope a plea may be cheaper in the long run.

M.P. = mile post

4511... (the statute)

The distance like number (1125.6) may be the distance he was from you during measurement with a lidar(laser) device.

Note in Ohio apparently laser (lidar) is not admissable in some (or most) OHIO juristictions:

check out this thread for details:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=337689

Beyond that there are some specific procedures for either radar or lidar in OH governed by the case law (most of which is ignored by the law enforcement copmmunity and thus a grounds for dismissal). However, the kangeroo kourts may make you get the dismissal through appeal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">