• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

signing a ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I see on tv shows (Cops, Speeders) when they give you a ticket they tell you to sign it. Why? and what happens if you refuse to sign it?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

j991

You have to sign as an acknowledment of the summons, that you understand why you're getting it, and that the information is correct. I don't know about every state, but many including Virginia, require you by law to sign the summons. If you refuse to (in VA, at least) you'll be arrested and taken to the magistrate. The magistrate will give you a chance to sign it and release you on a personal recognisance bond. If you still refuse to sign, then the magistrate will place you in custody without a bond until you see the judge at the next court date where the judge will decide if you stay incarcerated or release you with a monetary bond. It's not an admission of guilt, just that the information is yours.

So thats not considered "forcing you to do something against your will"?? So the cop says jump off this bridge before he lets you be on your way and you dont do it he can arrest you for that too? So much for being a "free" country. I'm glad I dont vote.
signed,,,Philip Nolan

Ah, Mr. Phillip Nolan, the United States ceased to be a "free" country some 20 years ago. Talk to some people that were around 30 years ago, and they can tell you the differences between today and what it was like back then.

In response to your post, (don't wanna get accused of hijacking here), the reason you are requested to sign the cite, is that you are stating you promise to appear in the Court named on the cite, and on the date that is listed there.

Refusing to sign is taken legally as though you are saying you will not appear, and at that point, you are arrested. One way or the other, they want you to appear on the cite given, to answer for the violation they say you committed.

No officer in this country, nor any state may for that matter, may require that you sign the cite. They cannot make you jump through hoops, off bridges, or anything of the like. The judicial system CAN however, make you answer for any criminal acts, (some traffic violations are considered misdemeanor), you might have committed.

No officer in this country, nor any state may for that matter, may require that you sign the cite. They cannot make you jump through hoops [blah blah blah]
False. You are required to sign the citation, and if you refuse, you can be taken into custody.

Signing is not an admission of guilt. Also, pay no mind to OldandTired - his/her experience with legal matters is limited to what is shown on prime-time television.

False. You are required to sign the citation,
WRONG. Are you really this stupid?

You have the OPTION. Sign the ticket, or be taken into custody. It still remains the violators OPTION as to whether or not to sign the ticket.

Let me put that in a fashion you might be able to understand. If the officer asks you to sign the ticket, you have the OPTION at that point to say, "No Officer, I prefer not to." The Officer will then at that point ask you to exit the vehicle. The Officer will then say something to the effect of, "You're under arrest for failing to promise to appear." At that time, the Officer will transport you the city/county jail, and you will be seen by the magistrate.

No matter what, it remains the violators OPTION to sign. Go back and read what I posted before.

Before you start ranting about a person's knowledge, make sure you're free of scrutiny and actually know what the hell you're talking about.

The Occultist

WRONG. Are you really this stupid?

You have the OPTION. Sign the ticket, or be taken into custody. It still remains the violators OPTION as to whether or not to sign the ticket.
Both of you cut this out. Do you realize what you two are arguing about now? NOTHING! You agree on everything here except for the actual wording, so just shut up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">