• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Simple Traffic Violation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JeremyDee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

Fist of all this all happend over 23 years ago and these are the facts as I
remember them.

I recieved a speeding ticket in New Jersey and did not pay the fine.A
few years later I was arrested In Maine for driving with my Maine license
under suspension.In order to get my license reinstated I had to go back to
N.J. and pay a $17.00 fine.Once the fine was paid I had my license reinstated.
To my knowledge I was never convicted of a crime.

I am about to apply for a new job and one of the questions is Have you
ever been convicted of a crime more than a minor traffic violation.

Would you consider this more than a minor traffic violation and how should I
answer that question.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MaineWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I_Got_Banned

In order to get my license reinstated I had to go back to N.J. and pay a $17.00 fine.Once the fine was paid I had my license reinstated.
When you pay the fine, you are essentially pleading guilty to the underlying charge.

Would you consider this more than a minor traffic violation
As for the driving while suspended, I would not consider that a "minor violation" but again, it happened 23 years ago so chances are, neither will show up. It all depends upon the type of background check that they run.

how should I answer that question.
I would ask your potential employer as to what the classify as a "minor traffic violation". Their interpretation might differ than mine and it might not agree with what is legally defined as a "minor traffic violation".

I would still ask them for clarification. You'd be better off inquiring about it now rather than having it appear and thereby requiring you to have to justify a "no" answer.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">