• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Six Motorcycles, One Radar, One Speed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BIGSHOT

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina. Me and six of my friends where riding our motorcycles when we where pulled over by a NC State Trooper. He issued us all speeding tickets for going 77mph in a 55mph zone. I asked him which one of us did his radar clock going 77mph and he stated "all of us". How can this be so if a radar is designed to detect the fastest moving object out of a group of objects? This would mean that if im passed by a car that is speeding that i am going just as fast as the speeder at the moment the speeder passes me. I feel if the Trooper cant specify the one motorcycle that was alledgedly clocked going 77mph, all the tickets should be dismissed on the grounds that a radar can only clock one vehicle at a time.:mad: He clocked us while traveling in the onbound lane so he wasnt pacing our speed.

FlyingRon

There's no requirement that the radar hit every vehicle. If you were traveling in a pack and hence testimony that you were traveling at the same speed, that's all they need.

You're wrong about your understanding of how RADAR works as well.

Proseguru

I think that the officer is going to have a hard time showing that one reading caught all the bikers. Its make believe.

justalayman

it doesn't matter if they were all travelling at the same speed. If one is guilty, they are all guilty.

and somebody with more interest in this than I needs to research whether the ticket is based upon the radar evidence or it the radar evidence is merely supporting or corroborating evidence of the officers determination of the speed. If the latter, whether one or all six were clocked is irrelevant since the officers determination of speed is the basis of the ticket and he will testify that he determined the ticketed driver to be speeding.

also, proseguru, did you read any argument suggesting one biker was actually travelling any faster than the others? Unless there was, OP's argument is moot since they were all travelling at the same speed, if one was speeding, they were all speeding. It doesn't matter which one was actually clocked.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
also, proseguru, did you read any argument suggesting one biker was actually travelling any faster than the others? Unless there was, OP's argument is moot since they were all travelling at the same speed, if one was speeding, they were all speeding. It doesn't matter which one was actually clocked.
As has been shown repeatedly, proseguru makes things up as s/he goes.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
How can this be so if a radar is designed to detect the fastest moving object out of a group of objects?
It's not designed to do any such thing.

This would mean that if im passed by a car that is speeding that i am going just as fast as the speeder at the moment the speeder passes me.
I see you're not a physics major.

That's ridiculous. If you are at 50 mph and someone blows by you at 100, you mean to tell me you think your speeds are EQUAL at the moment he passes you? How on Earth do you draw that conclusion??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">