• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Snow day and red light

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luca69

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OR
I have been photographed by a red light camera close to downtown Portland, few days before Christmas. I can admit I crossed with red, but to my defense:
1. the road was completely covered with snow, so it was very difficult to judge where the line to stop was
2. I was not going very fast, and when I realized I got flashed the first time, instead of stopping -and I could have stopped- I continued, after checking the crossing, simply because the road was so slippery I didn't wanted to block the intersection, afraid I couldn't move anymore.
As I am new here in the States and I don't know yet your system (moved in few months ago from Europe) what kind of options do I have? Is it mandatory I show in Court? I don't think I can say Not Guilty, as the evidence is there; if I pledge No Contest, are the above points reasonable to have at least a reduction of the fine? There is no indication whatsoever on the notification of any additional consequences of the fine, so my guess will be an increased premium of insurance; any suggestion where I can find further info?
Many thanks in advance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I_Got_Banned

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OR
I have been photographed by a red light camera close to downtown Portland, few days before Christmas. I can admit I crossed with red, but to my defense:
1. the road was completely covered with snow, so it was very difficult to judge where the line to stop was
2. I was not going very fast, and when I realized I got flashed the first time, instead of stopping -and I could have stopped- I continued, after checking the crossing, simply because the road was so slippery I didn't wanted to block the intersection, afraid I couldn't move anymore.
As I am new here in the States and I don't know yet your system (moved in few months ago from Europe) what kind of options do I have? Is it mandatory I show in Court? I don't think I can say Not Guilty, as the evidence is there; if I pledge No Contest, are the above points reasonable to have at least a reduction of the fine? There is no indication whatsoever on the notification of any additional consequences of the fine, so my guess will be an increased premium of insurance; any suggestion where I can find further info?
Many thanks in advance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You really had no intention of stopping, did you? You were approaching a red light and yes, the street was covered in snow... making the limit line difficult/impossible to see. but even if you did see it, you weren't gonna stop regardless... At least that's what it sounds like to me.

Assuming that you would even want to attempt to present the court with any justification for your asking for a "reduced fine", I suggest that you come up with a different story... The one you offered here stinks like barrel of bull dung!

By the way, making the assumption that you could not stop at the intersection (because of whatever excuse you may have had), did you assume that another driver crossing your path (or you crossing his SINCE YOUR LIGHT WAS RED)... Did you assume that he would be able to?

Kind of like playing Russian roulette, isn't it? Although I highly doubt that you're Russian.

luca69

clarification

товарищ запретил, by reading again the post, and your answer, I realized I really failed to omit a significant point. The light was yellow when I approached the line, and I thought I could make it, but turned red right at the time I passed. The first photo shows 1s time, but I know it was less that that...
And by the way: I didn't make up any of it, I am sorry if your reality stinks like a бык навоз. Mine doesn't. I was coming for advice what are the option, and I think is pretty clear to me now. спасибо

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Your welcome, but please ditch the Russian. Most people here have no idea what you are saying.

The yellow light is a warning that it's going to turn red. That's why it's there. You won't get too far arguing that the red came too suddenly.

I_Got_Banned

товарищ запретил, by reading again the post, and your answer, I realized I really failed to omit a significant point.
Since "failed to omit" means "included", I agree... You failed to omit your own incriminating statement, specifically, the fact that you could have stopped but you didn't.

The light was yellow when I approached the line, and I thought I could make it, but turned red right at the time I passed.
If you're suggesting that you were past the limit line at the time that the light turned red, then:
1st: You're changing your story. In your first post you stated that you COULDN'T SEE THE LIMIT LINE. Now you're saying you know you were past it when the light changed to red. Which is it? Could you see the line or couldn't you see it?

And 2nd: If you were past the limit line when the light changed to red then you wouldn't be here asking for help. The cameras are set up to only take your picture if you pass the limit line after the light changes to red.

The first photo shows 1s time, but I know it was less that that...
I'm not sure what that means but either way, the fact that there is a picture of you that is printed on the copy of the citation you received, and unless you can prove that the timing of the light changing from green to yellow to red is improperly set for the speed limit setting going through that intersection, then you are guilty.

And by the way: I didn't make up any of it
Hmmm... Then you must have dreamed one version and physically experienced another. I don't know how you can claim that when you yourself are telling two different versions of what happened that day.

I am sorry if your reality stinks like a бык навоз.
My reality is fine, comrade!

I was coming for advice what are the option, and I think is pretty clear to me now.
Its clear to you now? So you don't need any more help then?
Well, I'm glad you've got it all figured out.

Good luck and drive carefully...

спасибо
You're welcome!!!

I_Got_Banned

Most people here have no idea what you are saying.
For those who don't, there's always Google Translate. :D

товарищ запретил = Comrade banned
бык навоз. = ox dung.
Спасибо = Thanks

luca69

thank you I_Got_Banned :)

that is where I got the sentences, Google Translate, just teasing you :)

as I stated before, I have no problem in admitting myself guilty, I was only asking for options, as I am not familiar with your system here.

It is clear to me now: road conditions (dirty, slippery and negligently not plowed) are not an excuse for the mistake I did in not braking after the first photo. To clarify your comment above, I realized I passed the line just because I have seen the flash of the camera, not changing my story...

Thank you all for quick help and all your comments.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It is clear to me now: road conditions (dirty, slippery and negligently not plowed) are not an excuse for the mistake I did in not braking after the first photo.
Please stay off the roads. You seem to have no concept of the fact that you're supposed to stop BEFORE entering the intersection.

cyjeff

that is where I got the sentences, Google Translate, just teasing you :)

as I stated before, I have no problem in admitting myself guilty, I was only asking for options, as I am not familiar with your system here.

It is clear to me now: road conditions (dirty, slippery and negligently not plowed) are not an excuse for the mistake I did in not braking after the first photo. To clarify your comment above, I realized I passed the line just because I have seen the flash of the camera, not changing my story...

Then try this.

The next time you see a yellow light, pretend it is a red light and stop. Even if the street is covered in snow, ice, hail, rain or any other hazard.

Your only defense here could be that you didn't think you would be able to stop due to the snow on the road when the light changed.

However, this means that you were obviously driving too fast for conditions... so I would use this excuse only as a last resort.

luca69

thanks cyjeff

Then try this.

The next time you see a yellow light, pretend it is a red light and stop. Even if the street is covered in snow, ice, hail, rain or any other hazard.

Your only defense here could be that you didn't think you would be able to stop due to the snow on the road when the light changed.

However, this means that you were obviously driving too fast for conditions... so I would use this excuse only as a last resort.
This is exactly what I am going to do. This is the real point of the story, and I am not taking no excuses. I am not going to stay off the road though, as Zigner suggests, as this is my first and only ticket in 20 years, and taken in a very very extreme condition (the biggest snow fall in Portland downtown in 40 years, so they told me).

I_Got_Banned

as I stated before, I have no problem in admitting myself guilty.
Aside from NOT HAVING a problem... I honestly think that you do NOT HAVE any other option.

as I am not familiar with your system here.
I assume you are a licensed driver, right? How did you pass you tests if you're not aware of the simplest most basic rules?

What I would suggest you do is drop by your local Department of Motor Vehicles and pick up a drivers handbook.... Memorize that thing cover to cover. I'm not being sarcastic nor am I trying to insult you in any way.

It is clear to me now: road conditions (dirty, slippery and negligently not plowed) are not an excuse.
When you allow so many external forces to control how you drive, you are bound to get into some kind of accident. Whether its a fender bender of (God forbid) a major wreck, the hassle, inconvenience, additional costs, not to mention any injury or even worse... I am sure you can live without any and all of those things. AND SO CAN ANOTHER INNOCENT DRIVER who might be in your way!!!

not an excuse for the mistake I did in not braking after the first photo.
See what I mean?
You still missed the whole point...
Breaking after the first photo suggests that you crossed the limit line when in fact you were supposed to stay behind it until the light turns green.
Breaking after the first photo means you would have still been in violation and hence, you would have still received the citation.

To clarify your comment above, I realized I passed the line just because I have seen the flash of the camera, not changing my story...
Fair enough, a simple misunderstanding... Let's blame it on your inability to express yourself that well in English. (Just kidding)

And I would be even more thankful off your being a bit more cautious and attentive, a bit more of a responsible driver.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">