• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Some one else used my name on speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tiasnana

What is the name of your state? CA
I called to find out why my car insurance was raised and was told I had a speeding ticket. I traced the ticket and found out the person driving the car did not physically have my license and most of the information was wrong. The ticket was paid, but shows on my DMV print out. If I go to the court, will they take it off my license? What will happen to the person that used my name? The signature isn't mine, and they didn't even spell my name correctly. I have a copy of everything, which I obtained from the traffic court.
I really worried because the officer wrote my license number on the citation, and now this person has the number. I have been driving for over 35 years and have never had a moving violation until now.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

sukharev

Take it to police, not the court. If what you say is true, someone stole your identity and you would be better off filing the complaint.

racer72

Same thing happened to me about 10 years ago but it was my brother that used my name. I asked for a positive ID hearing and the officer that issued the ticket was required to attend. Of course the officer had never seen me before and my liability for the ticket was dismissed. My brother got in a whole heep of trouble over that but it was nothing new for him.

tiasnana

Thanks for your replies. The major problem is the person is someone in my family and I would hate to have them got to jail, but they aren't taking responsiblity for their actions. I know who it was because they chose to fight the ticket and filed a rquest for trial by written declaration. She stated she wasn't speeding, was a cautious driver and they should check her good driving record (which of course was mine and never had a moving violation in over 30 years). She then stated she would be out of town and have the decision sent to me (which was really her) in care of the actually person using my name at her current address. I know I shouldn't care what happens to someone that could do this to me, but I do because she is a family member. Does anyone know if I can have my drivers license number changed through the DMV (California) so she wouldn't be able to use it again since the police officer wrote it on the citation? The police officer obviously did not ask to see the license, registration or insurance because she had none, and he didn't mark on the ticket that she was not in possesion of the actual license. Will this make it harder for me to get this off my record? I have copies of everything because a very nice lady at the traffice court had the same thing happen to her and sent me copies of it. Sorry if I tend to ramble, but I am still in a state of shock as to how or why someone would do this to me.
Thanks for any advice you might offer.

Last edited:

justalayman

It was so nice of her to try and protect your driving record after stealing your ID.

In many cases like this it becomes an issue of me or them. Who do you want to have to ultimately pay for the ticket. If it isn't you, you need to stop worrying about what will happen to the liar.

lwpat

The DMV will issue you a new license with a new number. You can either file a report or pay the insurance increase.

CdwJava

tiasnana said:
Thanks for your replies. The major problem is the person is someone in my family and I would hate to have them got to jail,
Then you are in a pickle. The DMV isn't going to change your number just for grins and giggles, and in my experience they won't do it at all without a police report.

The police officer obviously did not ask to see the license, registration or insurance because she had none, and he didn't mark on the ticket that she was not in possesion of the actual license. Will this make it harder for me to get this off my record?
You have no idea what she told the officer. The officer may not have seen the actual license, but your sister committed a crime in identifying herself as you.

So, your choices are simple - suck it up as if it were you and protect your darling sis (who apparently didn't give a rat's rear end about YOU!) ... or, call the police.

- Carl

tiasnana

Thanks to all that replied. I made an appointment with our local police department to discuss this with them and take whatever steps are needed to clear my driver's license. I love my sis, but she needs to take responsibility for her actions.

msenteno

How did you fix this problem?? My husband is going through the same thing, thanks to his brother, who used his identity since he was a immigrant now he's deported we are finding all these tickets that aren't his.

Indiana Filer

How did you fix this problem?? My husband is going through the same thing, thanks to his brother, who used his identity since he was a immigrant now he's deported we are finding all these tickets that aren't his.
This thread is over 7 years old. I really doubt the original poster is still hanging around. Please start (or actually have your husband) start a thread of your/his own to get advice.

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">