• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

something petty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

geordief

What is the name of your state?Ireland
Its not really legal or traffic advice I would like - just a bit of commonsense I hope.I am posting from Ireland as it is hard for me to find a suitable forum here.
Well ,to explain, I turned out of a minor road into a major road.I did not need to cross the centre of the road to do so as I was turning left (in your country it is as if I was turning right) A very short distance along this road I saw a car coming toward me.We seemed to be fairly close to each other but I thought we were both on our own side of the road and I didn't feel the need to take evasive action.We were obviously a bit too close as our wing mirrors touched. I continued driving as I hoped that no real damage had been done but the other car turned around and followed me.So I stopped when he caught me up and got out to talk to them.
They said I had been on their side of the road ,had pulled out when they were approaching the turnout and should pay for the damage to their car
(their wing mirror was damaged)
I said I was sorry their wing mirror had been damaged but felt that I had been on my side of the road-albeit only just perhaps in that I was not tucked into the side.
They said that they had seen me on their side ,had a witness as the 2nd occupant of their car and that I should not have turnrd out onto the road when they were approaching-and I would have to pay for the damage to their wing mirror which was damaged.
I repeated that I disagreed that I was to blame feeling that the cars touched at some distance from the turnoff and that it was OK to turn out onto the major road if the oncoming car (on the opposite side of the road of course) was a fair distance away (in truth I didn't even notice it until it was actually approaching)
The next thing is that they must have phoned another car because now they are 2 cars asking me to stop and wanting to argue the toss and accusing me of * leaving the scene of an accident* and wanting me to go to the police station with them.I said *for fxxxks sake* and decided to leave them but on 2nd thoughts felt that I should go to the police myself and let them know what had happened and that these people were likely to make a complaint against me.
When I got there they were already ahead of me and I went in just to let them know what had happened from my point of view.
But they wanted me to stay as they were talking to the other car.
After 15 minutes I got to speak to the policeman and was disappointed that he was taking their side accusing me of *dangerous driving* and saying that if I didn't settle their damage I would go to court.
So now is where I am asking for advice or just any ideas.
Do I just pay up even though I don't feel to blame?
Obviously it seems pathetic and waste of everyone's time to go to court.On the other had it takes 2 to tango and I don't think they were driving especially badly so I did offer to pay half (or all if it is really cheap) but I dont feel like being taken advantage of-or particularly well off either.
As a secondary issue I also got the feelingthat the first crowd probably knew the policeman well as its a small community and incomers would be less trusted.I just felt I didn't get a fair hearing from the police but it could be sour grapes!
Any one got any view on the matter?

By the way there were 2 of us in my car too and we both agree more or less.

Curt581

geordief said:
What is the name of your state?Ireland
Its not really legal or traffic advice I would like - just a bit of commonsense.
The Law gives only a passing nod to common sense.

As for true common sense, what part of "US LAW ONLY are you finding difficult to understand?

While it may be true that forums like this are hard to find in Ireland, lawyers are not.

1*

geordief

Curt581 said:
The Law gives only a passing nod to common sense.

As for true common sense, what part of "US LAW ONLY are you finding difficult to understand?

While it may be true that forums like this are hard to find in Ireland, lawyers are not.

1*
Sorry I understood that to mean that States were asked for in cases pertaining to US law not that there was no interest in cases involving countries outside USA.
Also while lawyers are available in Ireland this case is too petty to waste their time or my lack of money with and I was just looking for a point of view- not for a legal pont of view

geordief

Curt581 said:
So you posted your question on a Legal Advice Forum?

:confused:
Well I have tried to think of a more suitable forum but was unable to find one as I thought there should be some conection between the subject matter of the post and the rest of the board.
I am sorry to seem to elevate this story to any sort of level of inportance.You know I did entitle my first post Something Petty
Thanks anyway-I must now to bed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">