• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Southold, Suffolk County Speeding Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fazflo

I received a speeding ticket going 20 mph over the speed noted in Southhold, Suffolk County, NY. My trial date is upcoming and i wanted to know if there was any advice that can be offered to me regarding fighting the ticket. I was going to use the speed gun calibration as one of my arguing points, specifically because the cop that pulled me over actually stated to me 'They have me doing this all day' which makes me almost certain that the gun was not being calibrated regularly. Do you think its a valid arguing point? Is there any laws, case examples, or statutes i can make note of that apply in Suffolk for speeding?

fazflo

I came to that conclusion because shortly after being pulled over and driving back in the opposite direction the cop that pulled me over was still staked out at the side of the road looking to hand out another speeding ticket.

FlyingRon

Police officers do not calibrate guns. All they do is test them. The operative case is pretty much People (NY) v. Perlman. The test only needs to be done per shift, not after each use. The manner of test is whatever the manufacturer recommends, could just be turning the unit on, could be tuning fork test, could be an actual test against an object of known speed.

Perlman also obviates the need for the cops to have to lay foundation about the fact that RADAR actually works to measure speed (so you can forget all that "subpoenaing the manufacturer" stuff).

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I...makes me almost certain that the gun was not being calibrated regularly.
That's ridiculous.

The radar or lidar set get calibrated twice a year by DCJS in Albany.

I am not that familiar with the geography of Suffolk County. Is your summons returnable to the Traffic Violations Bureau or the local court in Southold?

fazflo

That's ridiculous.

The radar or lidar set get calibrated twice a year by DCJS in Albany.

I am not that familiar with the geography of Suffolk County. Is your summons returnable to the Traffic Violations Bureau or the local court in Southold?
I actually have to appear at the local court in southold. Im trying to postpone it and get a lawyer to handle it for me. I dont mind a fine, but 4 pts is not something i want on my record. And ive heard they do not plea bargain unless you're a lawyer

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Wow, I totally lost touch with Long Island - haven't worked out there in years. Never knew the TVB closed. I guess Suffolk did the Nassau thing.

Don't know the Southold court at all. Why are you so concerned with the points? The points really only count for DMV purposes. Unless you get alot of tickets they don't mean much - insurance companies have their own points system.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">