• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speed Camera Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tenn Mann

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee, Millington near Memphis. My zip 38135. My question.
A car registered to my wife and I was issued a ticket for 43 in a 30mph as
determined by a traffic camera. Which shows the back of the car clearly including lic plate. No driver is shown. This car is usually driven by one of my two daughters. The ticket states it is issued as a non-moving violation civil
penalty of $50 fine. Millington city ordinance 2010-05 section 15-803b. No points assessed on driving record. We recieved notice in mail with picture.
Can it be overturned due to being an obvious moving violation and being
issued to both my wife and I with no way to prove whom was driving?

Tenn Mann

Any Advice

I looked up code and it stated, The owner can swear in court that car
was not operated by him and, if belived by court, ticket will be dismissed.

1. Anyone had dealings with this process.

2. Do not think a ticket should be issued without proof of driver
but I do not wish to ID the driver?

Any advice on this issue?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Maybe you can post the reference you're using for the municipal code. From what I see there is no such thing as 15-803, 15-113 seems to be the highest numbered statute under title 15.

HighwayMan

Nevermind, I found it.

The stautes are pretty clear - and no it does not say that the ticket will be dismissed.

You are on the hook for the civil penalty unless you provide a statement to the court with certain information about who had custody and control of your vehicle at the time of the violation. Once that's done then THAT person will receive the violation notice.

Either way someone in your family will have to pay and since it's civil and carries no points does it really make much difference?

HighwayMan

2. Do not think a ticket should be issued without proof of driver
but I do not wish to ID the driver?
Doesn't matter what you think all that matters is the law and how the court views it.

Don't ID the driver and you pay the fine. Again, does it really make a difference? Think of it as being similar to a parking ticket it's basically written against the vehicle and the owner is responsible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">