• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speed camera tickets coming to California?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pugilist

What is the name of your state? CA

A bill has just been introduced, to allow automated speeding tickets to be mailed to you. It will be heard on May 9.

LATE EDIT: The bill died, in committee, on May 9. But this awful idea is not going away - I am sure there will be another such bill introduced in Feb. 2007.

It is SB 1300. Call your auto club and your state legislator and let them know your opinion.

The bill, in its present form, allows only a pilot program in Beverly Hills, and only in 25 mph zones. But it could be extended to other cities (Burbank, Carson, Culver City and Pasadena are supporting the bill), and could be extended to higher speed streets. In Scottsdale AZ they now have them on the freeway.

Pug

Last edited:

LSCAP

Another money maker

Pugilist said:

A bill has just been introduced, to allow automated speeding tickets to be mailed to you.

It is SB 1300. Call your auto club and your state legislator and let them know your opinion.

The bill, in its present form, allows only a pilot program in Beverly Hills, and only in 25 mph zones. But it could be extended to other cities, and could be extended to higher speed streets. In Scottsdale AZ they now have them on the freeway.

Pug
MY opinion. Another money maker for the local municipality and the insurance companies. Does not promote safety. Much more extensive driver training promotes safety. EDUCATE, EDUCATE, EDUCATE.

DRTDEVL

Lane discipline promotes safety.

I am in Germany. Over here, you WILL be fined a lot of money for sitting in the left lane for no reason, or for driving too slow and impeding traffic flow.

If Americans can keep the soccer moms and old folks out of the left lane, higher speeds would be safe and permissible. Currently, it is not safe, due to the 30 y/o woman driving the Excursion 70 mph in the passing lane while eating Mc Donald's, talking on the cell phone, and smacking her brat kids in the back simultaneously; Or the 80 y/o man who can't see and is using his 79 y/o wife as a spotter driving 45 in the passing lane.

If the State Police would actually cite people for these more dangerous offenses, then the world will be safer. Unfortunately, speeding is much easier to catch... Sit in hiding with a radar gun. Speeding also generates more revenue. If you are pulled over for 70 in a 60 in Citrus County, FL, you will pay a minimum fine of $155.50. If you are camped out in the left lane for no reason, you will pay $68. Talking on the Cell Phone, $68.

Who is the least likely to cause an accident? The guy going 70 in a 60, the woman talking on the phone, smacking the kids and eating, or the old person going 45?

Now, who is the most likely to be pulled over and fined?

gawm

The Occultist said:
My opinion? It will serve as a useful tool to help prevent people from driving at speeds unsafe for them to do so.
Let me tell you what they do on that 8 mile stretch of freeway. Signs are posted so you know where it starts and you know where it ends. They are pretty much speeding (about 25-30 over) until they approach, then they slam on the brakes, they drive about 8-9 miles over (you don't get a ticket unless it is 11+) until it ends and then they speed up again.

There is a bill in the legislation to take it off the freeway.

Pugilist

6500 tickets in five weeks!

Evidently, not everyone knows that they need to slam on their brakes!

Even though there was a 30 day period during which warning tickets were mailed out (Jan. 22 to Feb. 22), and there has been extensive publicity, Friday's East Valley Tribune reports that in the five weeks since Feb. 22, more than 6500 REAL tickets have been issued. (Edit: here is a late update. The May 6 issue of the Tribune reported that the count of issued tickets was up to 18,438 by May 4.)

And that bill in the AZ legislature - it stops cameras only after Jan. 1, 2007. In the meantime, I guess we need to stay out of Arizona.

Pug

Last edited:

gawm

When I said everyone I didn't mean EVERYONE! Even though 6500 real tickets have been giving out, that is a 30% decrease in speeders from the warning period. That stretch of highway has always had a high percent of speeders on it but it is not one of the deadliest in Scottsdale. There was 6 more stretches of road in Scottsdale that had a higher fatality rate where they could of put those cameras, why did they put it there? Money or safety?

The Occultist

DRTDEVL said:
Lane discipline promotes safety.

I am in Germany. Over here, you WILL be fined a lot of money for sitting in the left lane for no reason, or for driving too slow and impeding traffic flow.

If Americans can keep the soccer moms and old folks out of the left lane, higher speeds would be safe and permissible. Currently, it is not safe, due to the 30 y/o woman driving the Excursion 70 mph in the passing lane while eating Mc Donald's, talking on the cell phone, and smacking her brat kids in the back simultaneously; Or the 80 y/o man who can't see and is using his 79 y/o wife as a spotter driving 45 in the passing lane.

If the State Police would actually cite people for these more dangerous offenses, then the world will be safer. Unfortunately, speeding is much easier to catch... Sit in hiding with a radar gun. Speeding also generates more revenue. If you are pulled over for 70 in a 60 in Citrus County, FL, you will pay a minimum fine of $155.50. If you are camped out in the left lane for no reason, you will pay $68. Talking on the Cell Phone, $68.

Who is the least likely to cause an accident? The guy going 70 in a 60, the woman talking on the phone, smacking the kids and eating, or the old person going 45?

Now, who is the most likely to be pulled over and fined?

If everybody is obeying the speed limit, it will make it easier to find those who are already going the limit but are still unsafe drivers. The ass going 80mph and weaving in and out of traffic is going to draw peoples' eyes.

You want to make sure they stop stealing your money with bogus speeding charges?? STOP SPEEDING! People are complaining about these cameras being another way for the gov't to milk money from you, but if you aren't speeding in the first place, then they can't fine you for it.

Pugilist

Coming to senate committee on April 25

The bill is coming to a committee in the California state senate on May 9 (the bill failed on May 2 but will be reconsidered on the 9th).

And by the way, here is some info that wasn't available until the "bill analysis" came out: The CHP Officers Assn. is opposed to the bill, and a rep. spoke during the May 2 hearing.

Pug

Last edited:

DRTDEVL

The Occultist said:
If everybody is obeying the speed limit, it will make it easier to find those who are already going the limit but are still unsafe drivers. The ass going 80mph and weaving in and out of traffic is going to draw peoples' eyes.

You want to make sure they stop stealing your money with bogus speeding charges?? STOP SPEEDING! People are complaining about these cameras being another way for the gov't to milk money from you, but if you aren't speeding in the first place, then they can't fine you for it.
What part of the fact that "I am in Germany" do you not understand????? I am not speeding, just making a point about differences in drivers.

Here it is considered a serious responsibility to drive... In the US, drivers think of it as a right (even though it is a priviledge). Ever wonder why the German cars coming to US shores did not have cupholders for many years? It's because they don't even approve of drinking a Coke when driving!

sukharev

DRTDEVL said:
What part of the fact that "I am in Germany" do you not understand????? I am not speeding, just making a point about differences in drivers.

Here it is considered a serious responsibility to drive... In the US, drivers think of it as a right (even though it is a priviledge). Ever wonder why the German cars coming to US shores did not have cupholders for many years? It's because they don't even approve of drinking a Coke when driving!
This is hillareous, I think they should ban sigarett lighters, too :D

The Occultist

DRTDEVL said:

I was merely taking your argument and applying it to those here. I was making a point on what you said, not against you.
Ironically enough, I wonder how many accidents were caused by people who drove cars without cupholders but had cups in their laps or whatever anyways? Heh, the best thing ever is a car I saw built with a french-fry cup holder!

Y

ylen13

all that will happen is people with start reregistering their cars on other people and so on. So when you get a speeding ticket, you can jutst tell the court it wasn't me. Also driving car that's on bussiness name has some advantage. Most that can happen is company will pay the fine but not go on anyone record as they got no idea who is driving the vehicle.

Shay-Pari'e

Pugilist said:

A bill has just been introduced, to allow automated speeding tickets to be mailed to you.

The bill, in its present form, allows only a pilot program in Beverly Hills, and only in 25 mph zones. But it could be extended to other cities, and could be extended to higher speed streets. In Scottsdale AZ they now have them on the freeway.

Pug
Pug, automated speeding tickets have been around for years. Getting a ticket by camera has also been around for years.Sorry it is catching up to your state, but you need to live with it.

Don't break the law, and guess what? You may have saved a life.

What is so difficult for you to understand?

Pugilist

For Shay -

So, you never break the law by speeding? Don't people honk and swear at you as they swerve around you on the freeway? I would think you would be in danger of being rear-ended. Don't you think you would be safer if you 'blended-in?' (If YOU want to save a life, consider that the rest of us would be safer if we did not have to change lanes to move past you and others like you - traffic is safer if everyone is going close to the same speed - even if that speed is greater than some politically determined speed limit.) Is driving too slow your passive aggressive way of getting back at society - basically sticking your butt in peoples' faces? Or are you so off in your own world that you have not noticed that most drivers are doing 5 to 10 mph faster than you, or that you are 'pulling a train?'

Or are you just a troll, as you other voluminous posts here seem to indicate?

Pug

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">